Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

Chickenkeepr

Chirping
May 5, 2015
Watertown, NY
This started a couple of weeks ago. She seems to have these "sneezing" fits a few time a day. She'll be 2 years old in the spring, free range during the day and in the coop at night with my other Pekin hen that is the same age, and 11 hens/pullets. She has no discharge, her eyes are clear and she is very active. She has access to clean water 24/7 and is being fed layer crumbles and continues to lay daily. She did just go through a molt and wasn't doing it before. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, nor does it seem to bother her. It's kind of a very high pitched whistle/sneeze sound and when heard from a distance she almost sounds like a guinea hen actually lol. Had anyone experienced this before? I've tried to get video but every time the phone comes out, she waddles off lol.

This started a couple of weeks ago. She seems to have these "sneezing" fits a few time a day. She'll be 2 years old in the spring, free range during the day and in the coop at night with my other Pekin hen that is the same age, and 11 hens/pullets. She has no discharge, her eyes are clear and she is very active. She has access to clean water 24/7 and is being fed layer crumbles and continues to lay daily. She did just go through a molt and wasn't doing it before. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, nor does it seem to bother her. It's kind of a very high pitched whistle/sneeze sound and when heard from a distance she almost sounds like a guinea hen actually lol. Had anyone experienced this before? I've tried to get video but every time the phone comes out, she waddles off lol.
Don't worry, I see my do that all the time. They sneeze to get rid of particles in their nose

Little bit of an update. I was able to catch her last night and noticed she is much thinner than my other duck. The sneezing is getting worse, but there is still no nasal discharge and her eyes are clear and bright. She is active but not as hungry as the other duck. I started giving her 1cc of Tylan 50 orally yesterday and gave her another dose today. The other duck is fine and the chickens are fine. She is starting to molt and stopped laying a couple days ago. I'll work on getting a video of her having one of her "fits" tonight.

Little bit of an update. I was able to catch her last night and noticed she is much thinner than my other duck. The sneezing is getting worse, but there is still no nasal discharge and her eyes are clear and bright. She is active but not as hungry as the other duck. I started giving her 1cc of Tylan 50 orally yesterday and gave her another dose today. The other duck is fine and the chickens are fine. She is starting to molt and stopped laying a couple days ago. I'll work on getting a video of her having one of her "fits" tonight.

Try putting some Apple Cider Vinegar into her water she uses to wash her head in and drinks out of. 1-2 Tab per gallon, after she finishes up the Tylan. ACV can kill certain bacteria and help clear up inflammation so it may help your duck. I use it 2X week with my flock. As electrolytes and tonic. Molt can knock them off their feed to so maybe try some poultry vitamins on the night you don't use the ACV just to give her a boost during molt and protein can be good quality dog kibble or cat kibble along with her reg feed to help get those feathers back in healthy and shiny.

Should I use the ACV with the "mother" in it? I'm guessing it'll be fine to put it in the water in the run that the chickens drink from too. She was a little whistly while she was breathing when I picked her up but not raspy. How long before I should see a difference with the Tylan? Is 1cc a good dose for a smaller Pekin? Thanks for all your help!

The ACV with the mother should be fine. Dosage wise, see if @casportpony can offer help. Our ducks were given Tylan a while back, and it was
1/4 teaspoon powder per liter of water for seven days.
I believe it was Tylan50.

This is a crazy coincidence. I was asking @casportpony just a bit ago if she knows where I can get Tylan, and it's for the exactly same reason you first described. Mine has the same sometimes squeaky quack, some slight wheezing when her chest is palpated, and nothing else. Eyes, nares, weight, activity level all fine. She doesn't seem to notice that anything is wrong, but it's worrying me to death, and we're not so far seeing any improvement with doxycycline.

Back
Top Bottom