Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

One also needs to think about what worms they want to treat, because not all wormers treat all worms. For example, Wazine (piperazine) only treats large roundworms, and wormers like Safeguard (fenendazole) and Valbazen (albendazole), need to be given several days in a row to treat some worms.

-Kathy

I only worm my water fowl 1X year in the fall using safe guard I worm my chickens 3x a year.

Kathy has a great thread going maybe she'll share the link so anyone interested can read up.

I found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

Thanks so much to both of you. We go to the vet at 4 pm today, so I'll ask him about it then. He's never brought it up before, and neither did the other avian vet we used to go to before we found this one.

My hens and pullets will occasionally let out a sneeze after they have been somewhere dusty.

Update on my girl today: She didn't wake me up this morning having a sneezing fit and seemed much hungrier last night. Will update when I get home from work and have more time to spend with her. Thanks again everyone!

One also needs to think about what worms they want to treat, because not all wormers treat all worms. For example, Wazine (piperazine) only treats large roundworms, and wormers like Safeguard (fenendazole) and Valbazen (albendazole), need to be given several days in a row to treat some worms.

-Kathy

I only worm my water fowl 1X year in the fall using safe guard I worm my chickens 3x a year.

Kathy has a great thread going maybe she'll share the link so anyone interested can read up.

I found it   https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

Thanks so much to both of you. We go to the vet at 4 pm today, so I'll ask him about it then. He's never brought it up before, and neither did the other avian vet we used to go to before we found this one.

You're welcome! You might also try calling your state lab and ask the avian pathologist what worms they see most.

-Kathy

My hens and pullets will occasionally let out a sneeze after they have been somewhere dusty.

Update on my girl today: She didn't wake me up this morning having a sneezing fit and seemed much hungrier last night. Will update when I get home from work and have more time to spend with her. Thanks again everyone!

That's good news! Thanks for the update?

-Kathy

Thank You for your help, just raked the pine straw and pine shavings along with other parts of the runs and it's been very dusty! No discharge or any signs of problems. The corid was recommended by someone because my Barnevelders are on their last dosing and I was told it couldn't hurt, not knowing the new pullets background. You've saved me a lot of confusion since the newcomer has no symptoms. She only does it when we come around, I started her off in a small enclosed area, covered, and it started then. Now she has free run in a larger uncovered area and she only does it randomly. Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

David
@casportpony is my go to lady for info though she might want to address this. Hopefully it is just dust and she'll be able to join your residents soon. As for corid isn't that to treat cocci only? I maybe wrong there again hopefully Kathy will say.

Thank You for your help, just raked the pine straw and pine shavings along with other parts of the runs and it's been very dusty! No discharge or any signs of problems. The corid was recommended by someone because my Barnevelders are on their last dosing and I was told it couldn't hurt, not knowing the new pullets background. You've saved me a lot of confusion since the newcomer has no symptoms. She only does it when we come around, I started her off in a small enclosed area, covered, and it started then. Now she has free run in a larger uncovered area and she only does it randomly. Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

David

@casportpony
is my go to lady for info though she might want to address this. Hopefully it is just dust and she'll be able to join your residents soon. As for corid isn't that to treat cocci only? I maybe wrong there again hopefully Kathy will say. 

Corid only treats coccidiosis, and it's very safe, so no reason not to give it. Interestingly, a friend of mine gets routine fecals done and has noticed a correlation between respiratory infections and coccidiosis. The last time it happen, he treated with just Corid and the bird recovered without antibiotics.

I tend to treat a little more aggressively than most, so I always de-worm if they look off for more than a day or two. Safeguard is one of the safer wormers, so that's what I use.

-Kathy

Is the other one okay?

-Kathy

She has what I keep thinking is a neck or shoulder injury. We had her in to see him before, and he said she had a sinus infection and wanted to treat that first. That's why we already had the doxy powder because we ended up not using it for her after we bought it. When we took her, she could barely even turn her little head to the left. Once she got better, that part did improve. She can now turn it and get it about halfway down her back, but not to her oil gland. She still has a lot of tear staining (she's a white one) between her left eye and her bill, and her wing on the left side is covered in brown because she can't spread her oil on that side and is always rubbing her face on her wing.

I really don't know what he could do for her if it's an injury, but I had already called him before the other one became ill asking if he thought it was worth looking at her again. Since he had two appointments open today between 4-5, I took both of those so we could take her in as well. I really hope he can do something for her. She's in a bad mood all the time and goes after any other duck or drake that comes near her. I don't know if that means she's in pain or she's just temperamental, but she doesn't act like she's in pain otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom