WHY is my roo doing this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Two times in the past couple of days I have caught my roo in the act of beating up on a couple of my "teenage" pullets. Both times he had them cornered and was pulling their feathers out. He wasn't trying to mate with them, he was plucking them! What the heck is he doing to these poor little girls... and why? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like a show of dominance. I'd have him in a cage for a few days, or....

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Yep...[​IMG]

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I could put him in my tractor but I'm afraid he will crow constantly, which would not be a good thing. On the other hand, I'd might better do that since we'll be on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'll have teenagers taking care of the chickens. It would be terrible if he really hurt one of the girls while we're away.
    He's been such a good boy, this is the only thing that he's ever done that is a major no no in my book. Since he doesn't give us eggs he'd better not intentionally hurt the ones who do, or will do in the future. [​IMG] is right!

5. If you want to keep him away, I'd suggest putting him in the tractor and covering it so that it is very dark. Roosters crow less when it's dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: