Why is my rooster beating my hens up?

Lennon.ch

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2017
We had a fox attack a couple nights ago and luckily all my hens survived, but just in case we repaired all the fences and nearly doubled their height (we think he jumped over). We had also heard that cockerels can also protect the hens so we thought it best to get one. We’ve had him two days now and both mornings he started grabbing the hens necks and trying to pull them down, he normally calms down later on but he does it a lot first thing in the morning. Is this normal rooster behavior or is he being aggressive?

Cock birds can certainly be a little more "fruity" first thing in the morning, so yes, it's normal.

You should see my young silkie cockerel Scruff... He grabs a hen and tries to jump on her back, but because he is so young, only started food clucking today... Once the hen is free, he has to run for his life as the hen will give chase and give him a right pecking!

There's a few that'll make a right ruckus but let him mount them with little struggle, and others that will hunt him down if he tries to mount them... Peep-Peep and Rooroo, the two mature roos, stay out of it to avoid getting beaten up by the hens in the crossfire... :lau

Ok thank you! I was worried he was being aggressive
Welcome to BYC!

He is being aggressive, whether he's being overly aggressive remains to be seen.
If the females don't submit to him, he should leave them alone and try later.
If he's repeatedly chasing them down, cornering them, or pecking the heck out of them you might need to remove him. If blood appears, definitely remove him.

How old is the male and how old are your females?

I wouldn't count on him to 'protect' the flock, especially against a fox, cockbirds are often just speed bump on the way to the buffet.

My big boy was always randy in first thing in the morning. They need time to get used to each other too.

Cockerels are really rude to begin with..... especially if you have a few. There is that special time in the morning when the cockerels/roosters remind a couple of hens what it is all about but the real craziness at my house is always before they go on the roost. It is like the end of the world is upon us. They eat like they are starving and also make sure of the continuation of the species in a rather frenzied way. Party tonight as there may not be a tomorrow!;)

Welcome to BYC!

He is being aggressive, whether he's being overly aggressive remains to be seen.
If the females don't submit to him, he should leave them alone and try later.
If he's repeatedly chasing them down, cornering them, or pecking the heck out of them you might need to remove him. If blood appears, definitely remove him.

How old is the male and how old are your females?

I wouldn't count on him to 'protect' the flock, especially against a fox, cockbirds are often just speed bump on the way to the buffet.
Ok thanks, I think their about 6 months old. But normally once a hen has run away he’ll leave her alone.

Back
Top Bottom