Why is my silkies eye stuck shut?????? Please help

nessa.morg

Songster
Jun 26, 2018
10E3F0C6-EF46-42A9-B9F1-17AB92DB9ED1.jpeg
I just noticed this just now but I’m not sure how long it’s been like this. Hopefully I caught it right after it happened!! Do y’all know what could have caused this? And what I should do?

00B4A169-A889-4B73-9E96-1671FF1C1735.jpeg
Ok so I rinsed it with warm water and I got it to open. When she opened it there was like a piece of leaf stem in her eye. A very small piece. I think what has happened was when she got it in her eye, the tendency is to close the eye. And a whole bunch of eye mucus surrounded it and fused shut. The eye still does not want to stay open all the way. The eye must have been super irritated bc it produced so much mucus that it covered her nostrils and I had get that off. But the mucus or whatever is still hardened around the eyelid even though she can open it. I tried to soak it but she seemed stressed and irritated so I put her up for the night. I’m going to continue to rinse around the eye with warm water and a soft cloth to try to remove around the lids tomorrow afternoon when I get home. This is what she looks like now. Still open to suggestions...!

View attachment 1651289 Ok so I rinsed it with warm water and I got it to open. When she opened it there was like a piece of leaf stem in her eye. A very small piece. I think what has happened was when she got it in her eye, the tendency is to close the eye. And a whole bunch of eye mucus surrounded it and fused shut. The eye still does not want to stay open all the way. The eye must have been super irritated bc it produced so much mucus that it covered her nostrils and I had get that off. But the mucus or whatever is still hardened around the eyelid even though she can open it. I tried to soak it but she seemed stressed and irritated so I put her up for the night. I’m going to continue to rinse around the eye with warm water and a soft cloth to try to remove around the lids tomorrow afternoon when I get home. This is what she looks like now. Still open to suggestions...!
Use a straw to siphon up water holding your finger over one end to prevent the water from draining out and hold the chicken's head and eye open with the other hand and flush her eye out with the water in the straw. It may be helpful to wrap her body in a towel and have someone else holding her body.

Looks like you're doing everything right. It can be hard to catch these things immediately with crested chickens, so good on you! I'd keep a close eye on both her eye and nostril for the first week or so after you get it off, just to make sure that there's no mucus coming from the nostril or that the eye doesn't close up again. Good luck!
thank you. I will give this a try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom