Why is nobody laying?!

I had the same problem then started to feed my chickens trout a few times a week bone and all cooked, but I catch my own trout and its expensive to buy. My chickens picked up laying within a a few weeks and now lay more than ever. They need lots of calcium protein, fish is packed with both and other good stuff. Oh and they look better than ever to

How long do you keep your birds? My black australorps were good for a 2 or 3 years, but at 5 years none were still living

Up to their second molt.

They're livestock, not pets and I can't improve my flock without culling the older birds (some of which are sold, rather than eaten). :)

Oh, that's true. I didn't think of that.

I know a guy who feeds his girls cat food in addition to regular feed to up their protein. Anybody have thoughts on that?
I feed my ENTIRE FLOCK (hens, Roos, ducks and drakes) tinned cat tuna towards the end of winter just before the chaos of mating starts… I also feed them NATURAL PLAIN YOGURT during winter mixed with layer pellets to help keep them warm and with digestion as where I am we get some VERY COLD weather and most mornings are frosted over and either full of ice or snow!

Wow, never heard of this dye bomb. I hope it worked. Did it?
I didn't have to use it this time, but it has worked in the past.

I don't actually know if "bomb" is necessarily the best word for it, I just didn't know what else to call it. 🙈 Basically you blow out an egg, glue paper on one end dribble some water and food coloring through the other, and close it off. Then, whoever is eating the eggs breaks into it and gets covered in food coloring. That way you know who did it.

Another way of doing it is to put dish soap in it. They hate the taste of dish soap and it breaks them of eating eggs. Both tricks have worked for us in the past.

I didn't have to use it this time, but it has worked in the past.

I don't actually know if "bomb" is necessarily the best word for it, I just didn't know what else to call it. 🙈 Basically you blow out an egg, glue paper on one end dribble some water and food coloring through the other, and close it off. Then, whoever is eating the eggs breaks into it and gets covered in food coloring. That way you know who did it.

Another way of doing it is to put dish soap in it. They hate the taste of dish soap and it breaks them of eating eggs. Both tricks have worked for us in the past.
With all the eggs we USED to get from our girls it would be a hecka bunch of egg eating goin on. We were getting 19/day. Now, maaaybe 3. Well, if that is the case I hope they are enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom