Why is only one of my girls laying?

Dmay530

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
So. Cal
Hi there my chicken buddies! I have 4 girls-2 buffs, 1 light brahma and 1salmon Favorelle. They were born on 3/23/14. One of them ( I'm not sure which) has been giving me an egg almost every day. It's pretty small and brown, about 1/2 the size of a Large egg. None of my other girls have laid at all. They're not molting yet-it's still very hot here. I'm just wondering why this might be happening. Any ideas?

They just aren't ready yet - if you want to post photos of the birds we can help you see if they are showing signs of maturing and reaching the point of lay just yet.

They just aren't ready yet - if you want to post photos of the birds we can help you see if they are showing signs of maturing and reaching the point of lay just yet. 

Oh! I thought they were mature at 23 weeks! I'll take some current photos today and post them. Thanks so much!

True, many birds will be mature and laying eggs by this point. But, all chickens are individuals. Most dual purpose breeds start laying between 5-7 months old. So, yours are still at the short end of that spectrum. It's likely that they'll begin laying within the next few weeks.

True, many birds will be mature and laying eggs by this point. But, all chickens are individuals. Most dual purpose breeds start laying between 5-7 months old. So, yours are still at the short end of that spectrum. It's likely that they'll begin laying within the next few weeks.

Thanks! I was getting worried that something was wrong
1f633.png
!

Back
Top Bottom