Why is she sick?

Strix-Aliana

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
I realize that I don’t have much info to share. She’s been very lethargic the last few days, doesn’t seem to want water or food much. She has just been laying around for two days and seems to sleep often. I’ve been keeping her in a separate outdoor coop during the day and at night we bring her inside our extra tub. We have another hen down with what looks like a leg injury, but we aren’t sure. I know we have been battling worms for a while because I see them in their poop—the long skinny white worms. (We didn’t have an issue with worms until we took in some hens from down the road. The day after we brought them home, we could see their poop contained the worms and we knew we were screwed). Could it be a worm issue?

Attachments

• 026B05B2-E5EA-4937-BD9F-D02400F2E50D.jpeg
    026B05B2-E5EA-4937-BD9F-D02400F2E50D.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 2
What have you treated the worms with? How old is she, and has she been laying eggs? Coccidiosis is also something that can make them lethargy/sleepy, not eat, have runny poops, and to stand around puffed and hunched. Corid is the usual treatment for coccidiosis. For worms, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. It sounds like you saw large roundworms in the droppings. There could be other types of worm larvae or worms, too small to see without a microscope. Some vets will let you bring in some collected fresh droppings to test for worms and coccidiosis.

I would see that she is drinking water. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are good vitamin/electrolyte suppliments that can be given orally 2 ml daily. When she is drinking offer her some moist chicken feed and scrambled bits of egg.

Back
Top Bottom