Why is this chick doing this???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wewcz5, Oct 12, 2013.

1. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    I woke up 4 days ago to a chick limp in the brooder. I was disappointed because I knew it wasn't going to last through the day. To my surprise it did and is still kicking. It is laboring to breath and has its mouth open 75% of the time panting and making a squeeking noise. The first 2 days it was having symptons it woukd flop on its back if it stood up. Its not doing that any more. I give it water through a dropper once a day. It does drink and eat on its own but seems to do even better after I give it water. Sometimes it has energy and sometimes I have to watch if its breathing because it looks dead. I told my hubby we need to cull it but he wants to give the little guy a chance. Right now its walking around making a squeeking noise as it breathes. with every brewth it opens its mouth and then shuts it. i wonder if the nostrils arent working?? Has anyone experienced this before? What could be happening with it?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    It sounds like a respitory illness. You can treat chicks with tylan 50 orally at one tehth of a cc once daily. This should help the chick and I would start immedately! You can get tylan50 at any farm store.its excellent for respitory illness and will give the little guy a chance. Tylan is tylosin. A antibotic. Please treat it as soon as you can once daily for 5 days. Most perfer to give orally to the little ones but you can if you wish inject the skin in the back of neck also. Either way treat her soon. I really hope this helps. Also seperate her from the rest of the flock as a precaution. Best wishes

3. wewcz5

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Thank you! I'm in town now so I will stop by tractor supply :)

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Please let me know how this little guy does. I'm thinking of her/him and wishing the best.

5. wewcz5

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Thank you! We bought the medicine and are about to give it to it now. I was looking at it and its not growing like the others. The others are getting wing feathers and this one isn't. It is 1/4-1/3 smaller as well. My husband has such a tender heart. He won't cull it.

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hopefully the medicine will help. I'm praying for you. All you can do is try.

7. wewcz5

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Thank you for your prayers, they are much appreciated! :) The chick is doing great! I saw him/her eating and drinking. It isn't limp and not laboring to breath. I laugh when I look at it because it is half the size of the beg feet chick.

8. wewcz5

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Lol the last sentence was supposed to day "the biggest chick" ;-)

9. wewcz5

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    The chick is still doing really well! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by