Why is this chick doing this???

wewcz5

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Shasta county, Ca
I woke up 4 days ago to a chick limp in the brooder. I was disappointed because I knew it wasn't going to last through the day. To my surprise it did and is still kicking. It is laboring to breath and has its mouth open 75% of the time panting and making a squeeking noise. The first 2 days it was having symptons it woukd flop on its back if it stood up. Its not doing that any more. I give it water through a dropper once a day. It does drink and eat on its own but seems to do even better after I give it water. Sometimes it has energy and sometimes I have to watch if its breathing because it looks dead. I told my hubby we need to cull it but he wants to give the little guy a chance. Right now its walking around making a squeeking noise as it breathes. with every brewth it opens its mouth and then shuts it. i wonder if the nostrils arent working?? Has anyone experienced this before? What could be happening with it?

It sounds like a respitory illness. You can treat chicks with tylan 50 orally at one tehth of a cc once daily. This should help the chick and I would start immedately! You can get tylan50 at any farm store.its excellent for respitory illness and will give the little guy a chance. Tylan is tylosin. A antibotic. Please treat it as soon as you can once daily for 5 days. Most perfer to give orally to the little ones but you can if you wish inject the skin in the back of neck also. Either way treat her soon. I really hope this helps. Also seperate her from the rest of the flock as a precaution. Best wishes

It sounds like a respitory illness. You can treat chicks with tylan 50 orally at one tehth of a cc once daily. This should help the chick and I would start immedately! You can get tylan50 at any farm store.its excellent for respitory illness and will give the little guy a chance. Tylan is tylosin. A antibotic. Please treat it as soon as you can once daily for 5 days. Most perfer to give orally to the little ones but you can if you wish inject the skin in the back of neck also. Either way treat her soon. I really hope this helps. Also seperate her from the rest of the flock as a precaution. Best wishes
Thank you! I'm in town now so I will stop by tractor supply :)

Thank you! We bought the medicine and are about to give it to it now. I was looking at it and its not growing like the others. The others are getting wing feathers and this one isn't. It is 1/4-1/3 smaller as well. My husband has such a tender heart. He won't cull it.

Thank you for your prayers, they are much appreciated! :) The chick is doing great! I saw him/her eating and drinking. It isn't limp and not laboring to breath. I laugh when I look at it because it is half the size of the beg feet chick.

Back
Top Bottom