Why is this drake so aggressive?

Joylime322

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
My friend has 4 ducks. 2 muscovy females and 2 pekins. The drake is a big pekin. He is biting and driving away one of the young female muscovies.. would there be a specific reason why? Methods to stop it??

My guess would be simply because there aren’t enough girls for the drakes. I believe it’s a 4:1 (female to male) ratio for ducks. When there are too many boys and not enough girls the girls will be picked on and overly mated by the boys and sometimes the boys will fight more where they aren’t enough girls. The only thing you could do really would be to get more females or separate one of the drakes from them.

The drake is claiming his females and telling you that you can't have them. He is also asserting his dominance towards you. Adding more females would certainly be a good idea, but it may not change his behavior. You may need to show him who is in charge and that you are the dominate duck.

The drake is claiming his females and telling you that you can't have them. He is also asserting his dominance towards you. Adding more females would certainly be a good idea, but it may not change his behavior. You may need to show him who is in charge and that you are the dominate duck.
He isnt aggressive towards us.. just the little female..

He isnt aggressive towards us.. just the little female..
Sorry. I misread that. He is still claiming his females and trying to make her submit to him. Ducks will pin the other duck to the ground and nip at them. This usually works itself out. But with so few females it could be really hard on your female. Luckily muscovy females are very tough birds. Adding more females will take the attention off her. If you get more females, you will want large breed females.

During the breeding season, which can last anywhere from April to September for domestic ducks, you are going to most likely see some aggression. The ratio of drakes to hens is very important. We've managed with a 2:5 ratio, but we currently have a 1:6. We keep only silver Appleyard ducks.

Even with one drake and six hens, it takes observation and management during breeding season. Our drake will usually pick one or two hens that are his favorites, and they will be fine together. He will also usually pick one or two that he really picks on (e.g., nips, runs them off, chases them down and stands on them (not mating), etc.). During mating season, we will usually keep the flock in two groups during the day (separated in two pastures by a wire fence so they can interact), but we will constantly mix those groups up just making sure the drake and the hen(s) he's picking on are separate.

At night, our drake has his "special fort" (also called "the hole" if he is being a turd). His special fort is in the run but separated from the rest of the flock by a wire fence. Sometimes his best girl spends the night with him and sometimes he's alone, but the girls will usually sleep beside him just on the opposite side of the fence. We do let them all free range together at least twice a day, but we keep an eye on them.

I'm not sure if that helps, but that's the way we deal with it. Even though it is kind of a pain, we think it's worth it to have a drake with the flock. Our drake (Angus) is also often a really good boy, and he looks out for the flock. Also, if you want ducklings... ;-)

angus and mouse snow.jpg

During the breeding season, which can last anywhere from April to September for domestic ducks, you are going to most likely see some aggression. The ratio of drakes to hens is very important. We've managed with a 2:5 ratio, but we currently have a 1:6. We keep only silver Appleyard ducks.

Even with one drake and six hens, it takes observation and management during breeding season. Our drake will usually pick one or two hens that are his favorites, and they will be fine together. He will also usually pick one or two that he really picks on (e.g., nips, runs them off, chases them down and stands on them (not mating), etc.). During mating season, we will usually keep the flock in two groups during the day (separated in two pastures by a wire fence so they can interact), but we will constantly mix those groups up just making sure the drake and the hen(s) he's picking on are separate.

At night, our drake has his "special fort" (also called "the hole" if he is being a turd). His special fort is in the run but separated from the rest of the flock by a wire fence. Sometimes his best girl spends the night with him and sometimes he's alone, but the girls will usually sleep beside him just on the opposite side of the fence. We do let them all free range together at least twice a day, but we keep an eye on them.

I'm not sure if that helps, but that's the way we deal with it. Even though it is kind of a pain, we think it's worth it to have a drake with the flock. Our drake (Angus) is also often a really good boy, and he looks out for the flock. Also, if you want ducklings... ;-)

View attachment 2540637
That makes sense for sure! Isn't it past breeding season though? I will be aware of this for breeding season but I am still uncertain why he is being such a bully right now. He does only have 3 females (2 muscovies.... is that the issue??)...

That makes sense for sure! Isn't it past breeding season though? I will be aware of this for breeding season but I am still uncertain why he is being such a bully right now. He does only have 3 females (2 muscovies.... is that the issue??)...
To be hones, breeding season can really be nearly year-round with domestic ducks. We've certainly seen an uptick in inter-flock aggression already, although it's mostly just pretty innocuous pecking order stuff. We are not separating anyone at this point.

I certainly would be concerned about that ratio. Three females to one drake is not a ratio with which we'd feel comfortable, although it may work for others.

Check out the search tool on the top right corner of this screen. Use advanced search and put in "drakes" and "jerks". Trust me. You are not alone. I also put a jerk drake into time out in a separate area with a couple of the females.
Is it just the personality of the drake?

Back
Top Bottom