Why isn't feather sexing accurate? *pics*

MA Mama

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
MA
I have seen a few sites that show feather sexing, and it pretty much comes down to that the females have those 2 rows of wing tip feathers ( and they are longer) and the males have just one, and they are shorter. My true rumpless Araucana (not the Americauna or EE) week old chicks CLEARLY have two distinct feather arrangements amongst them, JUST as what is shown on those feather-sexing sites. They are either just like the first pic or just like the second pic. However, my Araucana breeder tells me you can't do feather sexing on them because they are not a "quick-to feather" breed. My chicks aren't even a week old and they have big feathers on their wing tips, and like I said, obviously two distinct arrangements. Why does it seem that every chicken person who is "in the know" (and I am not one of them!!!) doens't think feather sexing is accurate? I feel like I must be missing something and I would love to be informed! THANKS! The first pic is what I think is a female and the second is what I think is a male. They hatched last Thursday. Again, thanks for any insight!

the chicks have to be breed for feather sexing. i wish it was that simple to sex them then there wouldnt be any guessing involved in their gender.

That was extremely helpful! Keeping in mind these are my first chickens, do you think the comb differences are obvious enough that an untrained eye can see the difference in male/female at 6 weeks? Thank you so much, i learn so much from my fellow BYCers!!!!!!

That was extremely helpful! Keeping in mind these are my first chickens, do you think the comb differences are obvious enough that an untrained eye can see the difference in male/female at 6 weeks? Thank you so much, i learn so much from my fellow BYCers!!!!!!

You're getting a lot of good info on the topic! While it is true that in order for feather-sexing to be 99% reliable, you need to breed for it, there are general rules that are mostly accurate.

I find that most breeds of chickens have males that are extremely slow to feather their tails. Females will start sprouting tails within the first week, and quickly have an adorable little fan. Males generally will have a little fuzzy nub up into their second week. I've raised more than 10 varieties of chickens (both bantam and standard) and have noticed this distinct pattern. I wouldn't bet my house on the rule, but it's done pretty well for me as a whole.

Another feathering phenomena that I have noticed in male feathering patterns is bald shoulders. While the females are busy feathering away along their backs in nice and interesting lines, males generally are doing an unpretty job of feathering, especially on their 'shoulders'. Mine usually will have bare skin with weird quills sticking up willy nilly well after the girls are into the swing of feathering. Poor guys

Hope that helps!

I don't know what perfect feathering is, but neither of my now obviously boys had it.

Neither of my boys were aggressive as chicks. They only now, at 14 weeks, raise hackles at each other, but they leave it at that. One is very skittish and has always been that way, while the other is bolder and more approachable.

Raising pullets, I have always had one that stood out as the ringleader or bully. They seem to have much more alpha behavior as babies than the boys, in my experience. Boys develop alpha behavior later when the hormones really kick in.

So these chicks could be the same gender? The feathers on these guys just simply don't mean anything? I appreciate your help!

They very well could be. I have three araucana (bantams):

One was chipmunk fuzz like your first one and feathered very slowly. His comb was pink and raised by 4 weeks and terra cotta colored feathers coming in on the wings by 6 weeks. Obvious boy.

One was black with no comb whatsoever, and had "quick" feather development. No pink AT ALL at 4 weeks. Obvious girl.

One was black with salmon breast, had a very questionable comb and "quick" feather development, same amount as the obvious girl. Jumped the gun on saying girl, right? He's a beautiful boy. His comb pinked up around 5-6 weeks and started raising at 5.

It all depends on the parents. Some will feather quickly, some slowly, but that's a gene that's *not necessarily* sex-linked.

You need a couple more weeks to start knowing for sure. Keep us posted - they will be beautiful. Though they're my only bantams, I wouldn't trade my girl for anything - such a sweetie!!!

Back
Top Bottom