Why mail order? What's the advantage?

Quote:
I'm just trying to spread the bator disease.
wink.png

Our first Pullet Pack from Meyers Hatchery was great and the birds are all healthy
and good layers. They've even had some kids of the own THAT WE HATCHED IN OUR
BATOR
tongue.png

I bought ours from the local feed store in Trevor, Wisconsin. $1.96 each. Sex links. They were from Ideal they said. For the price of the chics, feed, shavings, feeders, waterer it was the same if I ordered the chics thru the mail. So I saved! It was also fun watching the kids try and pick them out as well.

IMO, the biggest advantages of ordering chicks from the hatchery is that I can have a larger selection of breeds to choose from and I can get only females if I don't want any roos. The biggest disadvantage is that there are usually minimum numbers of chicks that have to be ordered.

Someone asked for some pics so here's Curry, one of the Brahmas from the farm store.

100_2058.jpg

And Schmecker the Ameraucana and Minerva the Dominique. All from farm supply.

100_2010.jpg

And here are the TSC RIRs and some blurry images of the farm supply Poles.

100_2085.jpg

Last edited:
Price is always a factor for me so in the past I would buy chicks from TSC. You are somewhat limited to what they have on hand, but the price is right. I did find a hatchery where I could get 25 assorted brown egg layers for 25 bucks plus shipping. Yeah, it's a straight run but I ended up with 5 or 6 different breeds and they were all healthy when the arrived. They sent an extra chick so it worked out to be about $1.46 a chick, not too bad for mail order. I wouldn't hesitate to order online again.

What does everyone pay for chicks at a farm store? Yesterday I was at the local Agway (no TSCs around here) and they wanted $6 per chick for bantams (can't remember the specific breed) and there was a 6 chick minimum. I've seen some of the more common large breeds there for $3 - $5.
The last hatchery order I placed came out to less than $3 per chick and that included 2 packets of Grow Gel, 2 packets of Quik Chik and Marek vaccinations. I see everyone is posting that farm store chicks are less expensive. Is my local store way overpriced???

Back
Top Bottom