Why mail order? What's the advantage?

rhetoric

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Western New York
Pals told me they were making an order from one of the big hatcheries so I joined in. $3.10 a chick w/ shipping. That shipment won't come till May, so we went to the local farm supply and picked from a bunch of fun varieties and they were between $3 and $3.50 a chick. Then TSC got in a bunch and most were $1.59 (we got 6 Rhode Island Reds). So is male order just about timing and selection or is there some other advantage?

I would think it would have to do with #1 breed and #2 quality of the chicks.
If you can buy local without shipping then I would, unless you are getting a rare breed or are looking for show quality. With hatchery chicks you can get a pullorum certificate.
Take care and post pics!

Most local chick sales will be straight run unless someone is a sexing expert or crosses to get sex-links. I tried my hand at sexing chicks and it is not easy nor fun lol. When I need hens I send for them. And like mentioned already certificates are a great idea to have if you plan on showing.

The feedstore here buys from Privett, so the selection is good. I just ordered a small quantity of Speckled Sussex pullets and some turkeys. However, they don't order in until May-June. I mail ordered a batch from Ideal so that they would be ready to go into the henhouse in May, and the brooder will be emptied up.

So yes, for me, it was more a matter of timing.

Cheers,
Michelle

I did both.. I bought 6 from TSC. After I placed my mail order from Welp. I didn't want to many of the same breed. I ordered my bramas and Br due to ship 4/28. And I got 4 americanas str. And 2 white rock pullets from TSC.

So the advantage for me was, I got to play with baby chicks while I patiently wait for my mail order.

Last edited:
Get the eggs and hatch your own. We bought chickens from a feed store and
from a hatchery and will never do it again, not that we had any problems with
either.

Hatching your own is so much more rewarding and you can always find the
breed of chick you want here or on other chicken sites.

I got pullets from the local feed store. I also got 3 st run leghorns, of course, 2 are roo's.

I'm not ready to try the bator thing yet, so I ordered the last set from MMH, due to ship first week in May.

I have always bought mine from the loocal feed store for around $1.39-$1.59/chick and about $0.99 for broilers. If I do the May order I have a great selection waiting until June always gave us a smaller option of breeds to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom