1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why my Quail birds dont lay egg's ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chasif, Sep 22, 2014.

1. chasif

chasif New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    It has been about 11 weeks but my Quails didn't lay the eggs, i dont know why ? would you please help me to figure it out. I am feeding them with the breeder feed from last 2 weeks.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of quail are they? are they molting? what country do you live in?

3. chasif

chasif New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I have courtonix ( Phroah). I live in Pakistan. All are totally mature.

4. dc3085

Are they molting? Do you see a lot of feathers on the ground? every year the birds need to completely replace their feathers once. Depending on lighting conditions in your country, it is quite possible they are molting right now. When they molt they will not lay eggs for about a month.

Also coturnix need around 14 hours of light per day to lay eggs. How many hours of light are there in a day in Pakistan this time of year?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. chasif

chasif New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, there are lot of feathers on the ground. What is the need to molt now ? their age is 11 weeks. I read on many pages that it took 6 to 7 weeks to lay eggs. but they didn't lay a single one.

6. dc3085

You need to understand the biology of the bird to properly answer your question. What light a birds eyes perceive effects most of their metabolic responses. The light hours of the day have changed rapidly over this last month. that tells the bird they need to generate new feathers for the coming season. your birds will molt every year around this time whether they are chickens, quail, or parrots. It's just how birds work. Give them a few more weeks to replace their feathers and they'll begin to lay again. Birds don't run on a digital clock so if they don't start laying right on your schedule you'll have to excuse them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by