Why no auto-turner? +more Call Duck incubating questions

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
Hey all! I've been reading a lot but I still find myself with quite a few questions regarding the incubation practices for call ducks specifically-which I understand have some specialized needs slightly different than normal ducks.

1. Why no auto-turner? Are most auto-turners simply too rough on small eggs? I've noticed extra room in the ""cells"" of my auto turner (I'm using the Nutureright360) where the eggs are pretty loose and still roll a bit after the turner stops. Should I stop auto-turning and switch to hand turned?

2. On that note, what's the best practice for limiting bacteria introduction when hand turning? My last batch had a few swollen navels despite my best cleaning and hand-washing efforts, so while they're all fine now, I'm frankly paranoid when it comes to germs this time around, which is why auto-turning seemed like such a relief to me.

3. When should I start the cooling-and-misting treatment recommended for call ducks? Someone said to start at day 10 as the developing embryos are too sensitive before that--though I know in the wild mommy wouldn't care about that, lol.

Thank you in advance!

ok so recently my friend gave me 3 goose eggs. i dont know how healthy they are or their age but when i candled them i saw dark figures and alot of movement, does that mean they are almost ready to hatch? ive never hatched goslings before

ok so recently my friend gave me 3 goose eggs. i dont know how healthy they are or their age but when i candled them i saw dark figures and alot of movement, does that mean they are almost ready to hatch? ive never hatched goslings before
I think you accidentally posted in the wrong place, I'm sorry! I've never hatched goslings either but I know dark figures and movement means they're pretty far along/getting closer to hatch. Go to the Incubating & Hatching section and click the "Post thread" button in the upper right corner above the other threads. :)

Hey all! I've been reading a lot but I still find myself with quite a few questions regarding the incubation practices for call ducks specifically-which I understand have some specialized needs slightly different than normal ducks.

1. Why no auto-turner? Are most auto-turners simply too rough on small eggs? I've noticed extra room in the ""cells"" of my auto turner (I'm using the Nutureright360) where the eggs are pretty loose and still roll a bit after the turner stops. Should I stop auto-turning and switch to hand turned?

2. On that note, what's the best practice for limiting bacteria introduction when hand turning? My last batch had a few swollen navels despite my best cleaning and hand-washing efforts, so while they're all fine now, I'm frankly paranoid when it comes to germs this time around, which is why auto-turning seemed like such a relief to me.

3. When should I start the cooling-and-misting treatment recommended for call ducks? Someone said to start at day 10 as the developing embryos are too sensitive before that--though I know in the wild mommy wouldn't care about that, lol.

Thank you in advance!
I've used an auto turner, and hand turned.
I'm going to try autoturning and then switch to hand turning to see how that will improve my hatch rate or if it makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom