1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why no older hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by newbie32, Sep 10, 2013.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Why don't any of the hatcheries sale 8 week old or larger hens?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chicks don't need to eat for three days after hatching, so they can be much more safely shipped with little or no loss.

Hatcheries don't have to feed them, either - they hatch, they're packed into boxes as soon as they hatch and have been sexed.

Some hatcheries DO offer "started pullets" but it's so much more expensive to ship birds than chicks. The cost per bird is higher, as they have to be fed, watered, and housed until they are sold.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

McMurray sells 4 week olds.

4. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Oh I didn't know new born chicks don't need food for 3 days. Well I don't want to pay for chicks that end up being Roosters and I don't want to buy a hen from just anyone that can possibly have disease. Plus I can not find a 8-12 weeks old buff orp anywhere close
    [​IMG]

5. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Yeah but that is not old enough to properly identify gender
    [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    McMurray (and other hatcheries) also sell started pullets at 15-22 weeks, and McMurray sells 4 week olds (4-9 weeks actually) but as gryeyes said, the shipping is going to be quite expensive compared to shipping day old chicks.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    All of the commercial hatcheries that I am aware of sell sexed chicks if you want them. Pullet chicks cost more, cockerel chicks are cheap. The industry standard guarantee is a 90% accuracy rate.

Some hatcheries do sell started pullets, but you'll find the shipping is prohibitive relative to what it costs to ship chicks. Then there is the additional expense of raising the birds to sale age.

8. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I know that the sexed chicks are supposed to be 90% accurate, but I also know many people buy 10 chicks or so and get 6 roosters! I am NOT going to be able to rehome a rooster out here. Yes I could eat them but I would just prefer to have a pullet. I have seen a few hatcheries that have 4 week olds-not old enough. Mccmurrey does not sell them old enough and the shipping is pathetic-oh well I guess I will keep hunting for my buff orps

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You might be better off looking for the birds you want locally even if you have to drive out of your way. You can get started pullets and some backyard breeders are willing to sell chicks with a rooster guarantee that will let you trade in if it turns out to be a roo. Each option has its pros and cons -- you just have to decide which is more inconvenient for you.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you are looking for older started pullets, look under Juvenile Birds on the hatchery pages. McMurray for instance does carry 15-22 week old started pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by