Why Not Help? Please Answer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Wolf Queen, May 10, 2009.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The title says it all. How come when a chick hatches your not supposed to help them? Does it hurt them or...?

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Generally, if they can't hatch on their own they are weak and don't live even after helping them.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Helping chicks that can't hatch by themselves will result in a weaker flock in time, ie genetically these birds are weaker than those that are capable of hatching by themselves. Also, if you open the incubator you will let out all the humidity, and therefore will probably have to help all of the others as the membrane in the shell will dry out quickly and become very tough.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Or even worse, you start to help and realize that they weren't ready yet and now you've just killed them. [​IMG] It's best to just let them do it on their own.

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Well...here's what I have learned...I have hatched several hundred eggs, so lots of practice. I do step in and help IF need be. I have had chicks physically dry out and get stuck. Does that make them weaker??? Absolutely not. This often happens with the late hatchers. The incubators been open quickly to remove the other chicks that have hatched and dried out, reducing the humidity for the existing chicks hatching--this is by no means their fault. When helping, I only step in if a chick has pipped and not hatched in 24 hours. I then assist. I peel away a little at a time. If you see bright red blood, stop. I try again about an hour later. I have had more success cases than not and my chicks come out fine and grow up strong and healthy. Just my 2 cents... [​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

[email protected]@2four :

Well...here's what I have learned...I have hatched several hundred eggs, so lots of practice. I do step in and help IF need be. I have had chicks physically dry out and get stuck. Does that make them weaker??? Absolutely not. This often happens with the late hatchers. The incubators been open quickly to remove the other chicks that have hatched and dried out, reducing the humidity for the existing chicks hatching--this is by no means their fault. When helping, I only step in if a chick has pipped and not hatched in 24 hours. I then assist. I peel away a little at a time. If you see bright red blood, stop. I try again about an hour later. I have had more success cases than not and my chicks come out fine and grow up strong and healthy. Just my 2 cents... [​IMG]

EXACTLY what I did... out of 19 eggs, I had 10 hatch (one I did help b/c the membrane had gotten VERY dry; probably from my having opened the bator to take the others out after they were dry), 2 totally clear, 3 with early signs of life but then quit, 2 just funky rotten, and 3 perfect little beauties that died [​IMG] b/c I didn't know that it wasn't ok to take out the little ones once they dried. I took them out b/c my incubator is a Lyon Turn-X (round in shape) and there is NOT much room in there, especially after the babies hatch and start trying to move around. They're walking all over each other, the broken shells, walking on pipped & rocking eggs, etc. I left the unhatched ones in the 'bator for 5 more days. One of the unhatched ones that died was rocking. I looked at the humidity and it was pretty low (approx. 31%) so I raised the cover and misted them with warm water but the egg stopped rocking and there was no more movement. Did I finish it off???​

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  7. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    And they absorb their yokes just before coming out of the shell so wouldn't want to help to early

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks and just to let everyone know my eggs are being sat on by 3 broody hens [​IMG]

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Crtrlover-Fraid so. If you leave the bator alone, you will find that your hatch rate will go up! Sometimes they quit because of deformities as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by