Why not medicated feed for waterfowl?

mberry222

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
Kingston, TN
I have seen several post that say not to feed waterfowl medicated feed but I could not find the reason. What is in the medicated feed that is not good for waterfowl? Is this the case for starter, grower, and layer feeds?

Last edited:
Years ago the meds in the chick food were poisonous to ducks. Now medicated chick starter contains AMPRO, which is safe for ducks.

It USED to be bad to feed medicated feed to ducks. It isn't any longer...well...unless you have a really old bag of feed laying around
tongue.png

When I got ducks a year ago from a chicken breeder who had a few ducks he wanted to get rid of..He told me NON medicated only..He said it was because ducks eat 10 times as much as chickens and with medicated feed they over medicate theirselves...Dont know to be true...So I feed multi-flock game feed its for waterfowl...

Last edited:
The Arsenical Compounds that were once used as coccidistats were deadly to waterfowl. these included Arsanilic Acid,Roxarsone,Carbarsone,Carbosep and Histostat..Amprolium and the Sulfa Drugs are safe for waterfowl.......

I'm feeding flock raiser to my guys. I just bought 4 chicks and a Runner duck. I am considering mixing a little medicated chick start into the feed. I'm new to this, is that a crazy thing to do? I just really don't want any problems. It's going to be a small backyard flock btw, never had chickens here before.

Back
Top Bottom