Why not medicated feed for waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mberry222, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mberry222

mberry222 In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    I have seen several post that say not to feed waterfowl medicated feed but I could not find the reason. What is in the medicated feed that is not good for waterfowl? Is this the case for starter, grower, and layer feeds?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I feed it to mine. I also give it to my ringneck chicks, no one has ever died. I am not sure what the issue is.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Years ago the meds in the chick food were poisonous to ducks. Now medicated chick starter contains AMPRO, which is safe for ducks.

It USED to be bad to feed medicated feed to ducks. It isn't any longer...well...unless you have a really old bag of feed laying around [​IMG]

4. Trenary Duck Farm

Trenary Duck Farm In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Michigan UP
    Quote:I think it is great that you questioned this. Too many opinions are paraded around as facts here.

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    When I got ducks a year ago from a chicken breeder who had a few ducks he wanted to get rid of..He told me NON medicated only..He said it was because ducks eat 10 times as much as chickens and with medicated feed they over medicate theirselves...Dont know to be true...So I feed multi-flock game feed its for waterfowl...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The Arsenical Compounds that were once used as coccidistats were deadly to waterfowl. these included Arsanilic Acid,Roxarsone,Carbarsone,Carbosep and Histostat..Amprolium and the Sulfa Drugs are safe for waterfowl.......

7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I'm feeding flock raiser to my guys. I just bought 4 chicks and a Runner duck. I am considering mixing a little medicated chick start into the feed. I'm new to this, is that a crazy thing to do? I just really don't want any problems. It's going to be a small backyard flock btw, never had chickens here before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: