Why not spoil them?

Pics
The chickens here free range; they free range the compost heap, the donkey middens
the sheep droppings, butterflies, spiders, grass, flower seeds and pods, the figs that fall, the grapes that fall, walnuts, almonds, cherries, the list is endless.
Occasionally they eat something that gives them a bad stomach and what they eat may not be as good for them as layers feed or whatever processed chicken food one can buy.
With free range chickens you can't really regulate what they eat and my guess is they eat a lot less crap than most humans.
Treats, not sure what the word means in this context; anything that isn't manufactured specifically for chickens?
The chickens here don't like the layers feed much. It's mainly fish based and given a choice they would rather a bit of steamed cod.
Chickens have been getting along just fine without layers feed for centuries.
Watching the mums here show what's good to eat and what isn't to the chicks casts some doubt in my mind on the opinion that they're dumb and will eat anything put in front of them.
So, if I give them walnut bits which i keep in my pocket, or cooked sardines once in a while are these treats?
Of course, some common sense is needed; best not to feed them hamburges and crisps sweets etc; I mean really, that would be making them as stupid as we are and that wouldn't be good.

The chickens here free range; they free range the compost heap, the donkey middens
the sheep droppings, butterflies, spiders, grass, flower seeds and pods, the figs that fall, the grapes that fall, walnuts, almonds, cherries, the list is endless.
Occasionally they eat something that gives them a bad stomach and what they eat may not be as good for them as layers feed or whatever processed chicken food one can buy.
With free range chickens you can't really regulate what they eat and my guess is they eat a lot less crap than most humans.
Treats, not sure what the word means in this context; anything that isn't manufactured specifically for chickens?
The chickens here don't like the layers feed much. It's mainly fish based and given a choice they would rather a bit of steamed cod.
Chickens have been getting along just fine without layers feed for centuries.
Watching the mums here show what's good to eat and what isn't to the chicks casts some doubt in my mind on the opinion that they're dumb and will eat anything put in front of them.
So, if I give them walnut bits which i keep in my pocket, or cooked sardines once in a while are these treats?
Of course, some common sense is needed; best not to feed them hamburges and crisps sweets etc; I mean really, that would be making them as stupid as we are and that wouldn't be good.

maybe this sounds like a funny question to ask but you said the feed over there is fish based, so do the eggs have a fishy taste to them?

I was a bit hesitant to mention it but the biggest “treat” judging by the chicken olympics & the frenzy of stealing of said treat & legging it off into the hedges that results - my chickens idea of the best treat ever is finding what ever it is that the cats have killed.

Not necessarily a treat by human standards - & most definitely meat!
Anvia, 4 of my 5 cats would fight them for it, but I have one who couldn't be arsed to give chase....too lazy.

Mrs. McKlucky, when I first got chickens, I also had no idea they ate meat! Took me a while to wrap my head around it, but now they get it regularly--about twice a week. It just seems weird, doesn't it?
I think it's just because we are used to chickens being shown either eating seed or just seeing them clucking around, not the wild eating machines that love to hunt that we end up with.:D

Actually, it reminds me of a time when we went camping with our in-laws. We were cooking bacon outside the tents. Suddenly my brother-in-law got up and started running.
We eventually realized he'd been mugged by a chicken, it had nicked his bacon out of his sandwich, yet his was trying to get it back!?!.:idunno So obviously bacon is another 'TREAT' to consider.

Back
Top Bottom