Why not to use a metal shed in the north

Would using Styrofoam insulation sheets on the inside of the roof help?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you exhaust out that with the duct fan in the front over the door, the other 2 vents will provide fresh(or makeup) air. Just have to make sure it doesn't cause a strong draft on the roosts.

I have no idea how much CFM the duct fan will move and how it feel inside the coop with it running....and if you want to to run it 24/7 or on some kind of a timer, it's an unusual scenario for a coop and I've never seen one used before.

Try looking into distributors for parts for older mobile homes. We live in one and have so far replaced all of those horrible mobile home crank out windows with nice ones that actually don't leak like a sieve. Our mobile home had the best exhaust fan in the kitchen - it sits right in the wall, opens and turns on with a pull chain, and opens directly to the outside. We replaced that too - 38 years of use had worn it out. After the new one went in, (exactly the same fan but new) Ken stripped down the old one, cleaned it well, tightened loose connections and lubed the blades, and rewired it so that it can be opened without the fan running and then the fan can be activated with a light switch. We put that in the highest part of the wall of our coop and it's worked beautifully! I just open the cover with the pull chain for passive ventilation or open it with the chain and turn on the fan with the switch for more air movement. We use passive in the winter and run it full on in the summer. We keep the pop door open (there's a wind break in front of it) and get excellent air flow. Wow! What a difference that has made!

Most of the exhaust fans you find in big box stores are designed for walls built with 4 or 6 inch thick walls. This old mobile home has only 2 inch thick walls so we needed to stay with that super thin style of fan. That's where the mobile home parts store came in handy! The walls of the coop are just plywood with siding nailed on, so the depth of the fan worked out very well. It sticks into the coop on the inside, which is no big deal, and is flush against the outside. Good luck - lots of folks are using metal sheds and I think yours would work with more active ventilation.

Here you can see the mobile home exhaust fan above the door, next to the big vent. It's closed in this shot.

In this shot the fan is open and running.

Edited to add: By the way, I'm up in Northern Wyoming, almost on the Montana border and not far from Yellowstone Park. We get some pretty hard winds here and plenty of cold and snow. Recently winds in nearby Cody/Clark were clocked at over 100mph.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom