Why not to use a metal shed in the north

Would using Styrofoam insulation sheets on the inside of the roof help?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fan should work just fine.

If pulling air out of the coop, I would set up a makeshift filter, as a coop environment can be very dusty, and not beneficial to electric motors.
Oops, I forgot to add that, Ron! Silly me - yes, it has been critical to keep dust out of the fan. We tack up those cheapy furnace filters, the ones that look like chicken wire and paper that you can almost see right through. Cheap and cheerful!

I hear y'all .In the long run for $600 + it is better just to build something better,something with a taller ceiling so you don't always bump your head.The other big thing is that there is nothing to mount stuff to without doing some engineering .What i don't understand is if it is 80% humidity outside how can you get it less inside there without sealing it or having heat. Inside my house with forced air heat running at 65 it is 45% humidity.On the pic of the truck it is complete outside with full ventilation.On the first pics when i opened the coop it was 18 out,at 12 pm when it got to 37 is when it was "raining" the front doors had fully been open for 4 hours.My friend thought that for $300 the shed would be easy to do thing.i said no it is going to be a pain and cost more in the long run.

What i would have liked to do was make a big coop in the barn.But unfortunately it hasn't been up kept since 1988 when the original owner died.

I've only owned the property for 2 years.Next year i have some Amish guys coming to tear it down and reclaim what is salvageable .

That is why i don't recommend these there is now way you can cut 15 feet of openings is the sides of these,without compromising the integrity of the strength of it.These don't have any internal bracing.The whole shed works together as a whole.
Insulating your roof hopefully will alleviating your problem I have kept as many as 24 birds in my 8'x4' METAL coop with no issues. Warm air is rising in your coop and condensing on the cold metal roof. Insulating the roof will rectify that problem. At lease it did in my metal coop. Just a heads up about those sliding doors. They were a nightmare for me in my metal coop. Chickens kept clogging the track with poop and it would freeze which would make the doors impossible to open at -40º. That is why you see hinged doors on my coop.

Last edited:
Do you have electric directly to the structure? If you do how about an outdoor ventilation fan like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/gable+vent+fan?NCNI-5

I have a metal roof on my coop with 20 birds. I am looking at one of these for my coop for the summer since I worry about to much heat in mine.

If you are worried about heat build up on a metal roof or building, I would recomment this type of product.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100051140-_-N

This with some window ventilation will keep those temps down in the summer. I put about two coats on my metal chicken roofs and if significantly brought the temps down from the metal roofs or walls. I have at least two sides open in my pens ( I don't heat them in winter, just tarp the open sides to protect from wind), but with the tin roofs and sides the heat would build up quite a bit. This stuff has helped stop the heat build up from the metal. I think it's helped somewhat with the cold also. I've not noticed significant condensation on the interior either, but I'm not insulated or heated. Pleased so far with the results.

Back
Top Bottom