Why Organic?

I just wanted to recommend and mention the documentary "The Future of Food" - probably easily located on amazon or in your library. -It provides wonderful explanations of organic, GMO, pesticides, and patents for seeds.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments.

Peace,
Tree

Quote:
I just wanted to bring up that DDT is not all that bad - apparently the scientist who did the initial testing on it found that it hurt raptors, then found other evidence that it was not harmful. Trouble is, that happened AFTER Silent Song was published and made major changes. The guy would do interviews and before every one of them would ingest some DDT to show it wasn't harmful!

Quote:
I just wanted to bring up that DDT is not all that bad - apparently the scientist who did the initial testing on it found that it hurt raptors, then found other evidence that it was not harmful. Trouble is, that happened AFTER Silent Song was published and made major changes. The guy would do interviews and before every one of them would ingest some DDT to show it wasn't harmful!

I would disagree on DDT. Since it's ban in USA, the bald eagle population is back strong. The DDT was getting concentrated in the fat of the raptors.

I don't buy organic I grow my own vegetables and fruit without using any chemicals. I have no local place to get organic feed for my chickens. I do give my chickens grass clippings and veggies from the garden I never buy hybrid seeds. I don't have the money for organic food. Here in the mid west we pay lower prices for beef and hog I could not pay $5 lb for meat just not in my budget. When I get my farm I will try and grow and produce as much of our food as I can. Will I buy organic more then likely not I feel that its just a label they slap on different bags. I would like to buy something that is not genetically engineered. So I make due with what I can afford here prices for regular food are jumping through the roof. I am lucky to keep basic food on the table.

We are choosing organic feed to avoid GMO ingredients in the feed. We also like supporting organic farmers for many reasons!

Just a note from someone who uses no pesticides....If you go to the organic mart and those vegetables are picture perfect, with no bug holes, you have been duped, or they are being raised by an alternative method, such as a greenhouse and hydroponics, which also goes against the whole, "Get back to nature." mentality of the local yuppie.

Quote:
Shame on your friend for not knowing what organic is and then trying to use it to his advantage. You can't just put a sign out there and legally call something organic. Even vegetables have to be raised by certified organic seed to be called organic, regardless whether the vegetables were raised without pesticides. The land they are grown on also has to be certified unless you are a small enough business (under $2000 in sales) and you can provide proof that the land is truly organic. At least that is how it is in MN with our laws. If you sell at farmer's markets, etc. you must be certified here in MN. Also, for chickens, which we used to raise organically, if you sell processed meat birds, you need to be inspected and licensed by an organic organization inspection to make sure your entire process is also organic. If you have someone else process your birds, they must be certified. There is a lot of paperwork involved. If you are not certified, here in MN you can buy a license from the state that allows you to label your products "Minnesota Grown", but that in no way implies organic, or even without pesticides.

As far as Why Organic? Organic is a chosen way of life. It is very difficult to be fully organic, but every little bit can't hurt, at least that is what we believe.

1) If you search the web, you can find a lot of benefits to organic ways of life. Europeans have set a good example for us to follow, especially in Germany. You can also read a about organic benefits that have been studied at John Hopkins.

2) Pesticides are a big problem for both the consumer and the environment. With all the lakes here in MN, we see plenty of runoff problems and it is continually a topic of polical debate. We have also seen a steady incline in 6 legged or other types of deformities in frogs. All researchers in our area say amphibians are the animals to watch when concerned about environmental hazards.

3) Runoff Concerns We have also chosen to drive a Jetta TDI that uses a bio-diesel blend. Our tractor also runs on bio-diesel blend. We actually make our bio-diesel by using old frying oil from a local restaurant at a cost of about $.87/gallon. It's work, a little chemistry, but also very good for recycling. Our car gets 45-50 mpg depending how fast I drive
wink.png

4) Genetically modified material is also a concern. There isn't a lot known about what long term effects this will have on humans or animals consumed by humans.

Organic is more expensive because you generally get less production out of the same space due to lack of fertilization, weed/pest control, no synthetic modification, etc.

We grow our own garden (not fully organic, but without pesticides) and raise a lot of our own fruit so we can control the salt and sugar levels that are used during their preservation processing. We can a LOT of our own beans, corn, peas, tomatoes, etc. so we know where it came from. We use organic seeds when we can find them, but not always and we try to buy heirloom varieties (non-modified) otherwise.

5) In order to fully benefit from organic, you have to try really hard to eliminate modern marterials like plastics, instead choosing glass, natural cotton, etc. No dyes, unnatural chemicals. Right down to the clothes in your closet, tooth paste, dish soap, etc. We don't get it all right, but we keep working towards it.

OK. Speech done.

The problem, here, is that it takes ten bureaucrats to grow one "organic" tomatoe....Maybe, the city dweller should simply take daytrip to the local truckfarm and check it out, themselves, and skip all the government intervention, into our simplified lives.

Quote:
This is not true. Please stop spreading misinformation. I am an organic farmer and plenty of my stuff is picture-perfect.

Let me guess. You don't live in a Florida jungle.

I just watched the show called Fresh it had a lot of great information on it. I now have great ideas about how to run my farm. I did not hear them say organic just the natural way of raising there animals and food. Not using pesticides moving the animals to new grazing areas using chickens to in a pasture area. Using the land for different things grazing from cattle, chickens turkeys growing hay. It was really great. I think the Government makes so many rules about being certified organic that most people won't jump through all the hoops. Which is better for big business. I will do things the way my grand dad did. I won't say organic but I will say more natural way.

Back
Top Bottom