Why Organic?

Quote:
Yes, hybrid seed can be organic and is used by organic farmers. GMO is a no.

I don't want to eat hybrid vegetables and grains. I want the kind of seeds my grand ma planted. I guess I will wait until I get my own farm and then raise as much of my own food and food for my animals as I can. I won't be buying any hybrid seeds either I want to be able to use the seeds from my vegetables the next year. I also don't like that they are messing with things when they genetically alter these seeds. IMO

What is GMO stand for? I am a little confused is that worse then just hybrid seeds that repel bugs and fungus and stuff. Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you. I did find a non-hybrid corn seed to plant this year did take a while but I did it.

Quote:
Yes, hybrid seed can be organic and is used by organic farmers. GMO is a no.

I don't want to eat hybrid vegetables and grains. I want the kind of seeds my grand ma planted. I guess I will wait until I get my own farm and then raise as much of my own food and food for my animals as I can. I won't be buying any hybrid seeds either I want to be able to use the seeds from my vegetables the next year. I also don't like that they are messing with things when they genetically alter these seeds. IMO

What is GMO stand for? I am a little confused is that worse then just hybrid seeds that repel bugs and fungus and stuff. Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you. I did find a non-hybrid corn seed to plant this year did take a while but I did it.

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism Hybridization is not in and of itself a bad thing. For seed savors, it doesn't work because it reverts back to the grandparents. But I think that that plants are fine to ingest. GMO's however have a man made gene spliced into it, say for example, round up ready corn. The gene is added to make corn resistant to round up. The corn can then be sprayed with round up and everything else will be killed (possibly even you!!)
If you are interested in seeds grandma used to grow check into seedsavers exchanges! good luck!!

GMO = genetically modified, where they take a gene from another plant and insert it into another plant.

Hybrid seed is just the cross between 2 lines of the same species. You are correct that the saved seed won't be true to plant it's from.

FYI, if a breeder bred that line, it's illegal to save back seed without permission.

Scientist do not create the genes that they put in plant cells to modify them they BORROW them from other plants within that kingdom of plants or outside and using biological engineering splice them in. This happens in nature all the time at random scientist do it at timed intervals and to achieve desired results instead of at natures schedule. The main reason Naturalists are against this is they view it as unnatural there is no CREDIDIBLE scientific data proving it is bad for you only junk theories.
Quote:

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism Hybridization is not in and of itself a bad thing. For seed savors, it doesn't work because it reverts back to the grandparents. But I think that that plants are fine to ingest. GMO's however have a man made gene spliced into it, say for example, round up ready corn. The gene is added to make corn resistant to round up. The corn can then be sprayed with round up and everything else will be killed (possibly even you!!)
If you are interested in seeds grandma used to grow check into seedsavers exchanges! good luck!!

Quote:
I didn't buy any seeds that said hybrid on them so I am hoping that they are just plain regular vegetable seeds I have thought about ordering heirloom seeds has anyone else done this. I worry with hybrid seeds since I am not sure what they did to those seeds and since you can not use the seeds the next year so you have to keep buying more seeds. I would rather be able to use seeds from vegetables that I grow the next year.

Have you considered just ordering non-hybrid heirloom seeds? I placed a large order with Heirloom Seeds online back in January and have been pretty pleased with what I got so far. I have noticed that it seems to take longer for them to germinate than regular organic seeds that I've planted in the past. I don't know if they're taking anymore orders right now for the year (they are a small, family-type farm), but in the future that might be a good way for you to go.

Quote:
I didn't buy any seeds that said hybrid on them so I am hoping that they are just plain regular vegetable seeds I have thought about ordering heirloom seeds has anyone else done this. I worry with hybrid seeds since I am not sure what they did to those seeds and since you can not use the seeds the next year so you have to keep buying more seeds. I would rather be able to use seeds from vegetables that I grow the next year.

Hybrid seeds haven't had anything done to them.. They are just two varieties that were cross pollinated and produced a new variety of seed. Like breeding a barred rock to a rhode island red and getting a hybrid chicken. You can save seed from them and replant.

Quote:

No, it is not GMO. Plants have self-hybridized for millenia, and people, in the process of domesticating crops for agriculture, have crossed different strains of plants to breed for certain traits, just like many people here do for their chickens! Hybridization can improve many traits already present like appearance, size, disease resistance and taste. Hybridized vegetables do not typically come true from their seed. Open-pollinated plants do. I grow both heirloom vegetables and some modern hybrids. When I grow a hybrid tomato, all the DNA in that tomato is that of a tomato, there is no foreign DNA in that tomato that came from another completely unrelated organism. That is how we have domesticated crops and livestock. Genetic Modification involves taking genes not just from other plants, but other organisms altogether, such as from bacteria, insects, and animals, and splicing them into the genetic material of a crop plant. These crops may have a certain improved function in one area, but generally sacrifice a lot in others. This enables the plant to do various things such as create it's own pesticide poisons to repel certain insects, tolerate the spraying of herbicides, etc. The actual increase in yield has been shown to increase only 1-2% with these GMO crops, and they create a whole host of other problems. Resistance to one type of insect generally leads to problems with another pest insect. The spraying of the same pesticide for years in these vast monocultures creates super weeds that can't be killed off with anything. Then there is the whole safety issue. There is a lot of evidence that these GMO crops are responsible for various health problems from allergies to cancers in both humans and animals. The FDA does not test these crops, as they are "self-regulated" by the parent companies. They can also be patented. Once these plants escape into the surrounding environment, including other farms, the companies that own the patents can sue the landowners for "using" their patented product, even though they never bought or intended to plant a GMO crop. And the seed companies are by and large winning those cases and putting small farmers out of business. The ones that do buy their products cannot save their seed, they have to buy new seed every year, and they also have to buy the pesticides and herbicides usually sold by the same seed companies. The need for the pesticides and herbicides go up every year, since weeds and insects develop a resistance to these chemicals over time.

I won't ever use or buy products containing GMO crops or animals. I don't want to eat things that may be unsafe. Just about everything in the typical grocery store contains GMO corn and/or soy by products. A good movie to watch is Food, Inc. It explains some basic issues with our food system. I NEVER rely on just a movie for information, but it is a great jumping off point to start doing your own research.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom