Why Organic?

or maybe I just prefer the way they do it.

No problem with that at all, buy/support what you prefer.

One of your fallacies is that modern AG uses more petroleum products than organic does. Organic crops requires more fuel/acre than modern ag techniques do, not even close. Modern Ag also uses manure as a fertilizer. In the 70's it was considered a waste product, now it's fertilizer. Organic is not cheaper. If it was, everyone would be organic. The animal side is moving closer to where the corn/soybeans are grown. Problem is, people don't want the smell of animals near them. Seems most lawyers live in country settings and love to sue or tie up in litigation.​

Quote:
KLA, I have a similar story...When My daughter was 10 she was diagnosed w/chohn's disease. Instead of using the prescribed meds we chose w/the approval of her pediatrician to try a more natural path...for 6 months. After 6 months she was totally asymptomatic. The gastrenterologist that did the biopsies, refused to discuss that she was not symptomatic. He just called it a spontaneous remission. Believe me, there was nothing spontaneous about it. It was a lot of work. So, do I have proof it was the garbage (Preservatives, dyes, GMO's, whatever) in her diet. No. Do I have proof that their elimination has made her better. No. I only know what I did and how she got better. She is now 25 and still asymptomatic. I question the Doctor's lack of acknowledgment that treatment did occur, just not one that he agreed to. He said diet had nothing to do with it. I only have my testimonial that going organic did work.

So why organic? Sustainability, better health for ourselves and for our world.

All food should be labeled. It should be our choice what we put in our mouths.

I have to agree with many here that it's the labeling (or lack of it) that bothers me most. Kinds hard to make choices when you don't know what's in there. There has been a lot of progress in recent years in making the industry tell us ingredients, calories, type of fat and all that. Let's hope they continue to improve that.

Do these sound like the actions of a reputable company? A government with the people's best interest? Individuals concerned about consumer choices?

"WikiLeaked cables released over the weekend revealed more about the US’ role as a global bully, trying to thrust unpopular genetically modified (GM) crops onto cautious governments and their citizens. In a 2007 cable from Craig Stapleton, then US Ambassador to France, he encouraged the US government to “reinforce our negotiating position with the EU on agricultural biotechnology by publishing a retaliation list.” A list, he added, that “causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility.”"

"....cables show US diplomats working directly for GM companies such as Monsanto. "In response to recent urgent requests by [Spanish rural affairs ministry] state secretary Josep Puxeu and Monsanto, post requests renewed US government support of Spain's science-based agricultural biotechnology position through high-level US government intervention."

It also emerges that Spain and the US have worked closely together to persuade the EU not to strengthen biotechnology laws. In one cable, the embassy in Madrid writes: "If Spain falls, the rest of Europe will follow."

The cables show that not only did the Spanish government ask the US to keep pressure on Brussels but that the US knew in advance how Spain would vote, even before the Spanish biotech commission had reported."
http://www.gmwatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12775

"The official U.S. position on genetically-modified organisms, also known as GMs or GMOs, is that there is no difference between them and natural organisms. Crafted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA), the position set forth to the Codex Alimentarius Committee on the issue goes even further to suggest that no country should be able to require mandatory GMO labeling on food items, even though science shows that GMOs act differently in the body than do natural organisms and are a threat to health.

A group of over 80 food processors, farmers and consumer organizations has sent an official letter to Michael Taylor, deputy commission at the FDA, and Kathleen Merrigan, deputy secretary of agriculture at the USDA, protesting the official U.S. position, citing the fact that it creates "significant problems" for all U.S. food producers that wish to label their products as being GMO-free.

Not only is there no mandatory labeling of products sold in the U.S. that contain GMO ingredients, but the FDA and USDA now want to prohibit the labeling of products that do not contain GMO ingredients. In other words, the FDA and USDA are trying to outlaw truth in labeling and are openly working deceive the public."
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/029168_GMO_foods_labeling.html#ixzz1InHBQAJp

Even
if GMOs were all they were cracked up to be, I would still make sure not a single dime of my money went to support companies like Monsanto because of their business practices.

thumbsup.gif
right on to Wifezilla's post

If people want to eat the garbage knowingly, that is fine with me. Who gives them the right to shove it down my throat if I don't want it? I have no say, period.

how about these bits of new GM"s

Cows produce human milk:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ag...ically-modified-cows-produce-human-milk.html?

Rice with human genes
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/01/AR2007030101495.html

Ice Cream wiith fish genes, I like how they get away not labling it as GM Fish because technically it is under the Veterniary Act.
http://www.alaskanewspapers.com/article.php?article=1109frankenfish_poised_for_stealth_entry_as

Meat Glue
http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/8989315/consumer/meat-glue

Monsanto's GMO Corn linked to organ failure
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

and the dreaded GMO Soy, which many believe is a health hazard (can't find the study to the link that shows soy sucks Vitamin D from the body)
http://blog.friendseat.com/dangers-genetically-modified-soy/

Last edited:
I thought that that Wikileak guy was indicted or in trouble for something? I guess we can go back to a time of hunting and gathering if that is the lifestyle one desires maybe live in a cave. I personally do not want to and enjoy eating certain foods that otherwise would be economically out of reach. I'm not sure there is a difference between a choice and a limited choice in the grand scope of things you either can afford the more costly food or you cannot.

Farmers costs are less the less they have to plow or till. They know what saves them money. If there was not a buyer for their goods they would not grow it. Like it or not true organic costs more and if there is a crowd out there that is willing to pony up the funds for the privelege to enjoy that food then we have a working system in place to satisfy them. What people do not like is big brother telling them what they should eat. This reason alone is enough to turn off most consumers. Our Presidents wife is trying to mandate this very thing and I don't believe she was elected.

About 4 or 5 times a year you hear where people die from raw milk salmonella I think and I know that raw milk is a big hit with the organic crowd and the guilty dairy goes under real quick.

GMO is here and is a reality.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
YAHHHHHHHHHH someone else has seen the truth......... There's so many many ways the government USDA and FDA are in bed together to keep there supporters happy it will make you sick, just thinking about how far they will go for money, power, and control. Don' t matter if they are making people sick, as long as the money keeps filling up there pockets. Everyday they think of new ways to undermine the people in favor of money, like the law change that allowed the spices to labeled as such when they are not spices at all but chemical preservatives, soy, ect. It's in reality getting worse, though a few people who fought for it did get a few things changed for the better. It's actually 2 steps forward 3 back. with these people. Kim

Quote:
Modern Ag also uses manure as a fertilizer. In the 70's it was considered a waste product, now it's fertilizer.

Really? My great grandparents used manure spreaders in the fields. They where horse drawn, wood framed, with a belt a rotating drum run of the axle. That was way before the 70's

Manure and compost making good fertilizer is not new by any means.

Back
Top Bottom