Why Organic?

Another reason they sell out is they cannot mass produce on the same given acreage with organic the natural soil cannot support the tight plantings.

If the market for organics is there I guarantee you someone will fill that niche.
Quote:

Quote:
Really? My great grandparents used manure spreaders in the fields. They where horse drawn, wood framed, with a belt a rotating drum run of the axle. That was way before the 70's

Manure and compost making good fertilizer is not new by any means.

I'm sorry I should have defined "uses". In the past, people spread manure in the fields nearest the barn--convienent and quick. Manure was not seen as a solution to a problem. IF you took a soil sample around old farm lots, the P and K levels would astound you. P levels are almost to toxic waste levels. Now we identify places in fields that are best served w/manure and place it there.

Most backyard animal people do the same today. Modern Ag would be shut down if we put that level of P and K our fields today. Way too much run off when rains hit, especially in spring coming off of frozen ground. Modern Ag is environmentally friendly, we monitor run off in water.

For giggles, those of you that have hogs, chickens or cattle in confined pen on ground, take a soil sample and have it analysed.

Don't need the giggles. We get annual soil testing done across the property. All part of environmental farm plan status.

Quote:
That is something I have never read in any organic standard. I do understand not wanting ones farm turned into an ashtray. Cigarette butts don't belong scattered around the farm and it is not good for animals to be nibbling on tobacco and filters.

One BIG misconception I see all the time is that Organic Producers shun all modern farming techniques and science. That is so far from the reality it is crazy. We test animals like any other producer, we test our soil, we test our produce, we manage manure and soil inputs. How we do it may differ, but it doesn't mean we don't.

Big or small there are real farmers on both sides of the equation. By real farmers I mean those who actually care about the short and long term consequences of our actions.

Admittedly there are those out there that do everything they can to max out the dollar and don't care about the damage they do. But we see that in conventional, organic, large and small operations. As consumer education and demands increase these folks will be weeded out more and more. All I can say is good.

I read so much media sensationalism, half truth and see blanket statements being made rather than references to specific situations.

Being in dairy ourselves I see the comments about raw dairy. Well folks, if one tests animals and milk, contamination like E-coli, Salmonella, Listeria etc, become a non-issue for raw dairy whether destined for direct consumption or further processing. Any issue is caught at the bulk tank. It isn't a matter of Organic or conventional, small or big AG in cases like this. It is a case of procedure, protocol and being a real farmer who actually cares.

I do believe in labelling that allows a consumer to make an informed decision and producers who feel that it should not be done need to look towards consumer trends with an eye toward their survival.

Quote:
We use coconut oil, olive oil, or Kerrygold butter (because it is from grass-fed cows) as our oils of choice. We are into "traditional foods" and follow the Weston A. Price line of thinking. I'm sipping on a glass of raw milk right now.
smile.png
Have you checked out realmilk.com? You might be able to find a hook up for raw milk there. Localharvest.org may have some grass-fed cattle farmers listed as well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom