Why Orpingtons?

A picture is worth a thousand words, and there are several here, LOL. I guess the better question is, what is NOT to love about an Orpington!?
love.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57987

They seem to be more subject to shipping stress than some other breeds, so sometimes it can take two or three incubations to get one good group of birds, whereas say, with Barred Rocks, you may get most of them to hatch, even when they are shipped in the same box. That being said, many have hatched my own eggs across the country successfully, so just depends on many factors, as with all shipped eggs. The thing is, this is how you have to get them. Only two hatcheries sell these chicks and they are VERY expensive for straightrun chicks, IF you can get them before they are sold out for the year. They do not sex them.

Last edited:
I just couldn't sit idle by and bite my tongue without jumping in here and putting my two cents worth in.

I am the proud owner today of 75 orpingtons of every color in this county with the exception of Jodie's lavenders. Why do I like them? I keep asking myself the same question over and over, but obviously I do like them very much.
Plain they might or might not be. One thing they are is they are a majestic bird in every respect. Yes, they are docile, friendly, quiet, and fluffy butts. But more than all these adjetives, they are one of the finest birds bred.

It is not known to us laypersons as to why the black/blue/splash orp eggs are difficult to hatch after being shipped just yet. But in due time with the proper data gathering I am confident we will find the cause and effect.

As a matter of fact I just yesterday had a 100% hatch of 12 blue orp eggs shipped to me 3 weeks ago from Washington to Louisiana in these 90 degree temps. After 3 weeks under a broody hen that was my reward; 12 beautiful little blue/splash fluffy butts. And keep in mind this was an uncontrolled environment unlike an incubator. The temps were horrid and the humidity was all over the scale.

ozark hen, thanks for the pm, I sent a pm to the one you recommended.

Speckled hen, if you do decide to sell eggs, please keep me in mind. I can pick up, I don't think you would be very far away. My next door neighbor has a bator and would probably hatch for me. Thanks for the info.

I failed to mention the fact that the 12 eggs that I had a 100% hatch rate arrived to me by the postal carrier. She pulled up in my drive and blew her horn. I went out and she popped the trunk on her car and told me I had a package in the back. This was like 4 p.m. in the afternoon with 90+ degree temps and she had been on the road all day delivery mail. Can you imagine what I must have thought? I just knew I had a scrambled egg omlet in that box for sure.
Not to dispair, I rested the eggs and at 9 p.m. that night I put them under the broody hen and 3 weeks later the results were awesome.
It is for this reason that I somehow think we all are missing a link to hatching these eggs. What? I have no clue. But it is an interesting project to work on to say the least.

I just hatched 8 buff orpingtons yesterday, so adorable you can't even stand it.
love.gif
They are that beautiful golden yellow, but I have 2 that have lemon yellow heads and the bodies are the golden color.
I have heard only great things about them.
Speckled Hen, I would absolutely love to get any Blue Orp eggs you are willing to sell as well. In fact I am trying to do my hatches close together so there won't be a big gap between them. I plan on doing one more hatch and hopefully I will have all the breeds I have been wanting.
So PLEASE keep me in mind, they willl have a very loving home.
smile.png

Thanks, Natalie

I myself am trying to get my Orp flock increased this summer by doing a hatch in a couple of weeks. I'm booked thru June and I wont have any hatching eggs to sell till maybe late September unless someone wants to come pick them up here at the house. I had a waiting list for these hatching eggs that was 9 months long! That's how popular my Suede has become around here. He needs more ladies to help out not to mention, maybe even a co-commander in the form of another Orp cockerel with a second set of ladies to keep up with the demand. Natalie, I dont doubt you would appreciate these blue beauties.
Roger, I meant to congratulate you on your terrific broody hatch! That's awesome!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom