Why pigeons?

comeonsammy

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
PNW
I think pigeons are an underrated and beautiful bird. I love seeing them in the wild...AHEM...city. I would love to own some, but I'm not sure why. What's their purpose? What do you DO with them? I know with chickens, they are fun to raise from chicks, breed, trade, and you can eat them and their eggs.
So, what do pigeons contribute?

Anything you say can and may be used to persuade my husband into getting pigeons. ;)

I think pigeons are an underrated and beautiful bird. I love seeing them in the wild...AHEM...city. I would love to own some, but I'm not sure why. What's their purpose? What do you DO with them? I know with chickens, they are fun to raise from chicks, breed, trade, and you can eat them and their eggs.
So, what do pigeons contribute?

Anything you say can and may be used to persuade my husband into getting pigeons.
wink.png

Check out my video in my signature and you will see why I love pigeons also.

Last edited:
Hello! You're are right pigeons are beautiful and amazing birds!!! I don't understand how some people see them as flying rats?!?!? Graceful, peaceful, highly intelligent, loving birds!!!
As to what they can be used for???? Well all sorts of things! More things than a chicken can give you except for lots of eggs! Have ever heard of squab as a dish? Well that's the young pigeon who is considered a delicacy and gourmet food! Showing pigeons is an amazing thing to do! And a huge point of interest for many! And pigeon racing is a huge sport that millions enjoy and it's very fun and reminds you of the speed and loyalty that pigeons possesss! They are also used as an ornament in many gardens, as therapeutic animal, pr just for the fun and joy they bring!
Sorry I'm giving basic information, but I'm sure that once you do your research, you'll soon get hooked and have your own loft!
Remember there are hundreds of breeds to choose from, and some are better than others in certain areas. And I'm sure your husband will change his mind soon after you do your homework ;) !
Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello! You're are right pigeons are beautiful and amazing birds!!! I don't understand how some people see them as flying rats?!?!? Graceful, peaceful, highly intelligent, loving birds!!!
As to what they can be used for???? Well all sorts of things! More things than a chicken can give you except for lots of eggs! Have ever heard of squab as a dish? Well that's the young pigeon who is considered a delicacy and gourmet food! Showing pigeons is an amazing thing to do! And a huge point of interest for many! And pigeon racing is a huge sport that millions enjoy and it's very fun and reminds you of the speed and loyalty that pigeons possesss! They are also used as an ornament in many gardens, as therapeutic animal, pr just for the fun and joy they bring!
Sorry I'm giving basic information, but I'm sure that once you do your research, you'll soon get hooked and have your own loft!
Remember there are hundreds of breeds to choose from, and some are better than others in certain areas. And I'm sure your husband will change his mind soon after you do your homework ;) !
Good luck and keep us posted!

That's a lot going on! Versatile birds! I don't see why people say that either. But I like the birds everyone else hates. Pigeons, seagulls, crows... :)
I promised him we would only add 1 homesteading/animal type project a year, so we shall see. I think they sound fun.

Yep they are fun! I understand what your husband is pointing to... As a homesteading couple you guys might want something useful because you already have a lot going on etc.... I totally get it because i already am planning for a future of homesteading layer on in life... And as i said a Couple of pair of "king" pigeons, "texan" pigeon and other heavy breeds can give you a pair of squabs every 40 days.... And by the way if you have a barn they can live in it with no special housing, just somewhere to roost and nest... Which would be easier... And yes your strategy is very good, adding one thing each year, that helps a lot on avoiding meltdown and frustration by doing everything slowly and carefully! Hope you get pigeons some day! Good luck!

Yep they are fun! I understand what your husband is pointing to... As a homesteading couple you guys might want something useful because you already have a lot going on etc.... I totally get it because i already am planning for a future of homesteading layer on in life... And as i said a Couple of pair of "king" pigeons, "texan" pigeon and other heavy breeds can give you a pair of squabs every 40 days.... And by the way if you have a barn they can live in it with no special housing, just somewhere to roost and nest... Which would be easier... And yes your strategy is very good, adding one thing each year, that helps a lot on avoiding meltdown and frustration by doing everything slowly and carefully! Hope you get pigeons some day! Good luck!

He thinks they're a good idea. The selling point was "We can eat them, right?" Awesome! Now to research and plan! (Insert evil laugh here)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom