Why seperate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bryan8, Oct 15, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well I'm getting 3 really healthy birds from a guy next week. 1 ee, 1 buff orp, and 1 jersy giant. I know your suposed to seperate the birds from your flock for like 6 weeks or so, but what is the diff between 6 weeks at my house or 6 weeks at his? There 20 weeks old.

I just can't see building another coop for that little amount of time

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    Because at your house you can control the environment while also keeping them under observation for any signs of illness or disease and be able to treat at the first sign of trouble.

If they are kept at his place you don't know anything about the conditions they are kept (except what he tells you) , you can't control anything, you can't observe anything and therefore you can't treat anything.

Your flock is your flock and, if you're like most of us, no one can care for your flock like you can. [​IMG]

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Your birds have natural immunity for anything in their area, and the new birds have immunity for what is in their area. The new birds need to be segregrated for your old birds well being and for the new birds well being! Plus, like the previous post said, you only have the old owners word for their "health". An once of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure. Segregate!! Also, you don't want to immediately throw them in without some prevention because you will disrupt the pecking order and they will at the least "fuss". You could get real fights with pecking until blood appears and then a real battle could be on your hands. At the least, put them in segregation by building a "holding" area inside your coop. It nevers hurts to have a seperation area for sick, injured or baby birds.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by