Why so many post on hawk arrack?

I live out in the country, and see hawks everyday. Over the past 5 years, probably more, I've noticed them more and more. The reason for this is the destruction of their habitat. Now I can't drive down the highway and not see them perched on light posts and signposts, and occasionally see them dead on the side of the road from being hit by a car. It's sad. It's not their fault that humans have taken over their land. It makes me laugh to read about people talking about cats destroying the ecosystem. Yes, they eat the same prey as raptors, but in reality, humans are the ones doing the most destruction. Humans kill for fun, too.

Kudos to the person mentioning chicken owners at being at fault for not providing adequate housing. I do let my flock free range, and we have hawks all over our property, and I intend to take full responsibility if one of them gets my birds, but it's nature. Out of the dozens of hawks I've seen around here, only 1 was big enough to attack one of my full grown chickens. That's why have roosters, and there are plenty of places for them to hide.

I don't mean to verbally slap anyone in the face, just chiming in.

We've had a hawk hanging around for a week now. Hes killed 2 of my silkies . I had netting over a portion of the run and he figured out how to.get beneath it. The chickens have been inside for a week. He swooped down too close to my DH today. I have to say hes a heck of a stealth flyer. The agility of an f15.

No problems with them til winter which is understandable. Just have to predator proof the run

Well I have not logged in for a little while but after losing 25 pullets this month and 8 full grown hens I was gonna ask is there anyting that will deture hawks. I have not had a problem with them till this year and now I know why, My Teaching farm houses 10 different heritage verity of chickens, I like the idea of a scare crow will have to try that. but I have to say the hawks even swoop me which is scarry. but part of having a farm in the county is having preditors. I cant keep them in pens as the awa says thats not humane and I cant lose that funding. any other deturant suggestions would be appricated.

Steven

The Red Shoulder Hawk, that has been troubling our chickens it is not afraid of us either. We have thrown rocks at it, but it just sit there staring at us. I, just don't think this is normal behavior.
One thing I have notice is the Crows sound an alarm and will give the Hawk a good chase. I am now feeding the Crows. Hope this helps out some.

Quote:
Yes, crows seem to HATE hawks! There were three hawks in an area of woods by my house just yesterday and the crows were verbally harassing them until the hawks finally flew away, screaming their dissatisfaction. I've read a lot on here that feeding the local bird population (crows and even song birds) are great for early hawk detection. Your flock will eventually learn from the natives.

I've also read that it's easier for hawks to hunt when it's cloudy. I don't know if they are supposedly harder to see, or if their prey is easier to see, but I have noticed more of them on overcast days.

To the hawk sympathizers, man is truly at the top of the food chain and ecosystem. That is until the bureaucrats, politicians, and bleeding heart liberals get involved ! I do not kill hawks or owls, because it is against the law. However, I believe a man should have the right to protect his personal property (animals) on his own private property and should be allowed to have his livestock ranging on that same property. Who are you to determine that a hawk, owl, coyote or any animal of prey is more entitled to life and liberty than my chicken that is on my property ?!

Quote:
Uhh, because humans are animals, and those bureaucrats and politicians are the ones who recognize that property is "yours". The other creatures we share the world with have just as much right to be in a place as we and our livestock do.

I don't think it's about sympathizing with one group vs. the other, it's about sharing the world where we live. Humans domesticated these creatures, and if we want to keep them safe for our own purposes, we are responsible for protecting them. To me, this does not mean killing the predators, it means protecting them from the predators. If they are allowed to free range, even on "my" property, I expect that the wildlife will take advantage. If I don't lock up my birds at night, of COURSE a raccoon, or skunk, or possum, or coyote, or fox, or whatever will eventually find it's way inside. Why wouldn't they? I'd do the same thing to provide for myself/my family.

That's as far off topic as I'm going to get.

I live in the country, in the midst of a Nat'l forest and farm land, so I know predators. Most of the hawks here are Red Tails and Coopers, and we also have an ever growing population of Bald Eagles in the summer months and fall. I also have 9 outdoor cats. My cats hang out with the free rangers all day long, and vice versa. While I am not a cat person, these cats do their job well. They don't go after the song birds here, but they kill in plenty, mice, rats, snakes, voles, moles, gophers, bugs, and squirrels. I leave enough wild vegetation around my property for the birds to find their natural food sources, bird feeders attrack birds, squirrels, and mice, and in return cats. Therefore, I don't have a bird feeder! I have an abundance of Cardinals, Blue Birds, Blue Jays, Gold Finch, Hummingbirds (I do feed them), Robins, Snowbirds, and more; none of which the cats bother. I have a wire covered run, and in the mornings, I wait until "Hawk Hour" is over, (hawks do a fly-by at around 7-8am every day!), so about 8:30 the chooks can go out for the day, unsupervised. I have had no problems with the hawks coming after the chickens, and I feel it is due to the cats. Since January of 2010, I have lost one pullet. She went into "The Woods of No Return" as I call them, and no telling what got her in there! We have coyotes, bobcats, black bears, coons, possum, weasels, skunks, Great Horned and other owls, wild pigs, and some claim cougars. At night, all chooks are put back into the run. Just as we protect our children and see their safety as OUR responsibility, so it should be with the chickens. We opted to have them. We knew what predators were out there (or should have!). It is our responsibility to see to their safety. Hawks and other predators are just doing what comes naturally, and an easy target beats wasting time, energy, and needed calories, over waiting for a chance meal any day! Think about it; if you were in town and had a hankering for fried chicken. Would you swoop into the nearest KFC, or would you drive all the way home, butcher a chicken, and fry it up; all of which could take hours??
lol.png
That's not to say I would not hesitate to shoot an animal in the act of attacking my birds, I would, and I don't care if it's a coyote or the neighbor's dog! But that's part of the chances you take when you let them free range. At the same time, I do take precautions with my birds, and I do expect to eventually lose some more in time, but it's all part of life. JMO
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Had a pair of red-tailed hawks hatch out a young one summer of 2010-absolutely no problem with them until this past October. Lost 8 birds since then. Got plenty of crows around - yes, they don't like hawks, but that hasn't stopped the hawk from helping itself to my "free-range chicken buffet!" I tried hanging cd's only to make the yard look like a disco tech for the hawk's delight. Evil thing:mad: . It's been in the 40's here so the girls have had some nice days to go scratch around outside. Today DH came home from work and interrupted the hawk as it began its mugging of one of my buffs. Lucky for her...I think she'll make it since no vitals were injured, but her back is skinned badly. Coated her with blu-Kote so the other birds leave her alone. Might have to cover her with some pine tar too.

OK, enough of that. Anyone have any evidence or experience with dogs protecting their flock from"aerial attacks?"

Last edited:
Game bird netting - it's a 2" mesh knotted synthetic netting - works well if you have a fence or some other structure to put it over. It comes in long rolls, but I found one place online that sells 50 foot by 25 foot pieces for about $50. Coyotes or raccoons could easily chew thru it, but it would deter an aerial attack. Habitat destruction due to expanding urbanization and other human interventions contributes a lot more to declining wildlife than predation by feral cats. I agree that chickens, being domestic animals, need to be protected against predators. That's our job as "chicken shepherds".

Carol

Back
Top Bottom