Why so many RP's now?

Nifty,I have to support your feelings about the social aspects of this site! While my DW was a very vocal member in a lot of threads and had good advice to chicken owners,after her passing I joined to keep up with the memorial thread that Opa started. I had figured that after a week or two I'd be gone. But the folks here helped me thru the rough times and many became on-line friends!
While I've been mainly on the RR threads, now that I have a few broodies of HER chickens,I'll be looking for advice in other areas. Thanks for the site!

I don't subscribe to any RP threads, at least at the moment. However, there is an awful lot here by way of technical support and the other social forums. If any one of them doesn't appeal, it's easy to ignore it and leave others to enjoy.

I have found a great deal of help and goodwill here from many members since I joined. With our reduced and changed flock I don't need so much technical help at the moment. However, I enjoy RR and checking it each day reminds me to look for threads that might give me some tips for banties, coops, feed and so on.

I think the Role Playing the kids are doing in the games section is a good thing. It allows them to be creative, practice story telling and writing skills, and socialize in a safe, family friendly site that also keeps them in an educational environment that encourages learning about poultry.

Social features are essential to any sort of site like this. It encourages the knowledgeable people to hang around and enjoy themselves, thus making more people available at one time to exchange information.

Even dating sites do that now.

Believe me, folks, don't think that the RPers don't consider this. We KNOW there's a lot. But, you know, if you don't like them, ignore them. Simply stay out of GJF and only go to the Raising Backyard Chickens category. The staff put up the social section for a reason
wink.png

Sorry if this upsets or bothers anyone on here. I'm not trying to make waves. It's really bothering me when I go to the new posts to keep up with the forum and there are 7, yes I counted them, 7 RP poles, stories and other stuff there all to do with stories and role playing. I'm here because I have birds. I'm here because I want to learn about my birds and perhaps help someone with their birds too but all this other stuff is blocking people who posts their issues with their birds.

If I wanted to be reading a story about something then I download a book to my reader and read it. If want to join in a game I either join in on my computer with other friends, invite people over to play games or go over to their houses and play games.

I thought BYC is for us to learn about what we have versus what others have. What happened to our flock, where our flock is now or what did you do to help your sick little chicken because I may have the same issue with my flock.

Instead, I get RP's and such stories. When can we have more posts about our flock and not so much about stories or RP which doesn't even talk about chickens or other pets and fowls?

I totally agree with you! It's so annoying, and if you wanna play games why would you do it on a chicken website for teaching people how to care for chickens??

Anyone who thinks there aren't enough discussions about chickens on BYC should try keeping up on reading all the posts in the threads here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/64/raising-backyard-chickens

If you're a super fast reader and have 12+ hours a day to read about chickens, you might be able to read the thousands of posts per day in that section about chickens. If you still find you don't have enough chicken topics to keep you busy, you could also read all the posts here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/65/chicken-breeds

If you still find you don't have enough daily new chicken content, you could read through the newest articles posted here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/5/My_Chickens

Perhaps go through the new coop designs here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

If by some amazing feat that isn't enough chicken content to keep you busy every day, I'd suggest you step away from the computer and go outside and give your chickens some treats.... 'cuz you've been spending WAY too much time on the computer!

smile.png

Well, I'm not a troll and I don't spend all day and night on here. I do get to be on here while at work though. Like I said in my opening post I don't want to make waves such as all of this has done.

Thank you Nifty for letting me know about the very bottom of the screen. I never noticed it before until you told me. I do go to the different sections on here when I can. I love having the children on here doing the RP'ing. My opening post was asking why so many of them. When I went to the recent posts I couldn't believe there was 7 RP stories. I do go to the State thread and we do talk more than chickens just like you said.

I'm glad some of you understand what I meant by my OP and I'm sorry for the ones who took this way too personally.

No worries, I definitely didn't think you were trolling. You raised valid concerns and questions, and it is definitely hard to please all 130k members all the time, but we do our best.

I think some of the responses may have been negative because this has been a sore spot for a small minority for a while and their frustrations have come out with a tone of anger towards the social areas of the site.

BYC still focuses on raising backyard chickens. The VAST majority of topics are, and will be about chickens. With that said, there is still a place for the social aspects of our community, which make our community thrive.

We'll continue to try to manage the absolute best balance between all these things and we appreciate the helpful and friendly thoughts, ideas, and feedback!

Back
Top Bottom