1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why so young?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Apr 22, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Why do hatcheries ship chicks out at a day old? Why not wait longer until they are bigger and more 'established'???

Is it OK to ship chicks when they are 5-6 weeks old?

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I think they ship them then because they have enough yolk to last them for 2-3 days so they will be fine without food that long. Otherwise they would have to try to send baby chicks, food, and water...

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Because when they are day olds they do not have to worry about feeding them as the chicks are still getting nourishment from their yolk. If the hatcheries waited a month then they would have too many birds at one time and wouldn't be able to ship as many, especially for the breeds in high demand.

ETA: If the birds were "established" then they would be used to the environment of the hatchery. Shipping a bird, that has already settled, into a new environment will just cause more stress to the bird and lead to more problems.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    ahhhhhhhhhh thanks! [​IMG]

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Hiker chick is right.
    They would have to give food for adults and very few birds would have to be shipped if adults too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by