Why such a vast difference in looks in my Sebbies?

Frogdog...
Were the parents both curly breasted?

Nice that you are sharing your expertise Dave!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Chris are you saying this has been your personal experience?
Was it you as well that got curly offspring out of smooth x smooth?
I read that some where...probably on the Seb forum.
Conflicting information sucks doesn't it?
hmm.png

Quote:
I have an Australian friend that her very first pair were smooth breasted and I she did get smooth , smooth breasted and curly. I did get to see pictures and the curlys were very curly and she even had a beatiful gray SB out of that. But she did tell me she ended up with more completely smooth birds than the other 2. She had a hard time getting a hold of any sebs and that is why she did the smooth breasted to smooth breasted. In my own experience when I first got my sebastopol geese, I inquired some tufted sebastopol geese with them and I had them penned seperately and all were smooth breasted and they actually hatched out some curly breasted babies, so it sure can happen.

Quote:
Neither bird appears to be in great shape but the one bird would be curly by the looks of it and the other has feathering coming from the shoulder area. That would mean smooth breasted and not smooth. The BWA Standard lists only the curly birds and the smooth breasts, no overall smooths. Just two feather types. Pictures from both England and Holland show overall curly and smooth breasts but no smooths. Not show pics either but taken at breeders so if the smooths existed you'd think they'd be mentioned or turn up. Two smooth breasted CAN produce curly but we are told not to expect that fact as a matter of course. Banter has said that it may depend on the bird's pedigree and I would add LUCK! LOL to that recipe. There is pretty complete agreement that curly birds DO NOT throw back to smooth breasted or smooth birds. Poor breast feather and pattern might have a novice believing they have a smooth breasted but such birds can be identified as poor quality curly by those who have some experience with the breed. Dave

Yes! I have that (Domestic Geese/Ashton) book! I highly recommend it. I spent one whole winter delving into Euro sites looking for pics of Sebs. I was just curious as to what they considered to be a good example. I went into sites in Germany, France, Great Britain, Italy and others. I think I got into Spain, also. These sites were poultry shows and clubs. Don't speak enough of any of the languages to have been able to really read the descriptions, but saw a lot of cool pics! I bookmarked them, but they have almost all vanished off the internet. I should have printed them out! I saw lots of smooth breasted and almost smooths, and the curlies appeared lighter overall with a flatter forehead than ours in the USA. I'll have to try some more Euro surfing in the future.
Also, the parents of the curly grays I've got are a smooth and a smooth breasted. The gander is from Holderreads. I must add my Holderreads ganders are colors. I'd also like to add that so far the colored geese I have develop very slowly. Most have been over a year old before they maxed out on there feathering, then they do not improve after that.
I thought just a few curled or long scapular feathers indicated a smooth. The goose I own that I've been calling smooth gets long scapular feathers in the summer.

Last edited:
60705_ariel.jpg

This is my Blue and Gold Sebastopol and he is smooth breasted, just kidding this is Gizmo , one of my B and G Macaws. He is in my uploads . When your goose starts getting some new feathering ,send her pictures. I can post some smooth breasted. Do you have any from last fall?

Back
Top Bottom