Why temp not consistant in forced air?????

RoRoinGA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
NE GA
Greetings
I know this has probably beed discussed before but, WHY in my forced air incubator (LG) is the temp not the same in differend areas?? I have 3 thermometers placed strategically in different locations. 1 on top in the middle, one on top on the side close to the element and 1 taped to the egg turner. they are all different to about 1-1 1/2 degrees. Not to mention the digital I have propped against the wall which is about 3 degrees different. I was under the impression that with a fan the temp remains consistant all over the incubator? Any one else having this situation and what is the answer. PLEASE help me I have already lost a whole bator full of BCM eggs last week and this is day 7 for these eggs, I just want to understand what I am doing wrong (besides obsessing over it). Depending how this hatch turns out I am considering buying a Brinsea, heard good about it. So far I am 0 for 1
sad.png

Well I used the thermometers that came with the incubator and turner. And one from another incubator. They are all the same on the paper and them a thin sheet of plastic to rest on top of the eggs. Do you think placement should be a factor in the temp?? My thought was yes, even though it is forced air, the thermometer closest to the element would get the most heat.

That seems logical. In my 1588 forced air the temp stays pretty consistant. However, I don't "test" it with multiple thermometers. I just keep on flat on the turner.

In the LG still air, the temp fluctuated greatly from one part to another. I would keep the thermometer on top of the eggs. that is the most important reading.

Also, do you have the plugs all in? If you have a thermometer near an open vet plug, it's gonna change the temp too.

I have a forced air LG too and have an inconsistent temperature. I have two thermometers in the incubator but also use the spot check for incubators. I have one corner that runs about 2 degrees cooler than the rest of the incubator. I haven't figured out why it is yet and have tried many things to fix it but haven't found a solution yet. At first I thought there must be something wrong with the heating element on that corner so I touched it (note do not touch it, it does burn
tongue.png
) but there wasn't an issue with that. I have put duck tape along the seam on that edge and covered just that corner with a towel. Neither work but have helped some. I have just resorted to not using that corner for eggs.

If someone has a good solution, I would love to hear it too!

I have a 1588 and it never is consitent. I use the digital that I bought w/ the incu. I also have the thermo that came w/ it and the turner. The digital sits at the end of the turner on the wire. The therm sits on the eggs. It seems just under 100* every time I check it. The digital fluctuates between 99.3, 99.5, 99.6, 100.0 I figure a .1 or 2 fluctuation isn't bad.

I had a broody hatch two in my unheated coop. Only had two. I hope I get at least 1/2 of these. Got 26 Dels and 6 Ameraucanas. I didn't put any eggs in the space nearest the turner as I have read that it gets to hot there.

I keep the vent in as I was told but another posting said not to put the plugs in. What to do? Who knows?

I'm six days in and it seems like forever. This is my first hatch w/ this incu cuz I ordered eggs and had no time to do a test run.

My last three hatches were w/ a hova 1602N. No turner and only three hatches. First about 50% , Second 2 out of 25 or so. and the third it's quit w/ 9 days to go. Put the eggs under a broody and have no idea how many of them hatched. I hate incus to pieces! If this hatch is bad I may just take this thing and jump up and down on it. Smash it to ribbons!

Well we all in the same boat! I am at day 7 with this flock and because of losing the last one I am a complete basket case. And yes, the elements will burn you to the touch! At least I ain't the only one who touched it (lol).

Quote:
I did try to do that but it seemed the top didn't fit on the bottom very well. Maybe it was to thick? Do you have any pictures of how it should look?

Still airs do read different at different points. 1 1/2 degrees isn't bad. Mine can be as much as 6F different from the center to the edge. When there is no fan moving the air then the hot air rises and the cold air sinks making layers. The edges will also be cooler than the center. It's just something you have to take in to account if you are using a still air.

Back
Top Bottom