Why the production drop off?

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
I have checked my hens thoroughly for mites, and I don't see any. I did have a roo that did a lot of damage to them, many of them are completely bare-backed. I have noticed that several are growing new feathers. I'm thinking that my drop off of production is because it takes a lot of energy to grow feathers? I've got 14 hens, and we hit a new low the other day, only five eggs. Combs are nice and healthy red, they run around like little nuts at night, they seem healthy....could it be the regrowing of feathers?

Don't know about the feathers, but my girls are becoming real slackers in the heat (mind you it's only gotten as high as 83!). Poor little spoiled darlings.

Quote:
No, I hadn't, but i really don't think any of those apply. They have fresh water, a good, varied diet, they've got nothing to be scared of, really, their run is behind the garage, no one goes out there except us - all I can think of is the stress of regrowing feathers. I've upped their protein via BOSS and safflower seeds, as well as giving them the leftover chicken we eat (one a week, and no, it's not one of them!!) and anything else I can think of. One has regrown all of her feathers, only two weren't defeathered, so that leaves eleven that need some serious feather regrowth.

Sure hope it works for you. Wish mine would eat BOSS.

Well, I'm a little embarassed, hadn't read that for a while, had forgotten how basic it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
BOSS?

I never know what anyone is talking about on this site.
sad.png

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are high in protein - even higher are safflower seeds, I found out, so I'm supplementing their scratch with it. Actually those spoiled hens of mine get Purina scratch as a morning treat, augmented with white millet, BOSS and safflower - they love it! They eat well, they get their layer crumbles in the coop, and get out every evening to cruise around the yard eating whatever their little beaks desire
animroos.gif

Sunflower seeds with solid black hulls (as opposed to black and white striped.) The kernel is about 23% protein, according to Wikipedia. Often used to attract wild birds to feeders as they are a favorite. Many on here say their chickens love them, and they use them as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom