1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why the same nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TicketyBoo, May 14, 2009.

1. TicketyBoo

TicketyBoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I have 17 laying hens and I just moved them to the smaller coop.
    But prior to yesterday, they had 20 nests to choose from on 3 walls in a barn that was clearly built for many more chickens.

Anyway, they pick 2 or 3 nests each day and lay ALL their eggs in those nests. They'll cram 2 or 3 in a nest at a time just so they can lay their eggs together. And it's not always the same 2 or 3 nests, they switch it up everyday so it can't be that they favor one nest over another.

I just don't quite get it. Well of course if they lay all their eggs together, then one hen gets to sit on a whole assortment. But still...it's weird.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Sounds like completely normal chickens to me! [​IMG]

Although the general rule of thumb is one nest box for every four hens.... I'm quite sure that very few hens have actually read the manual detailing that rule. They usually pick the same one or two nest boxes just like yours. I figure one of my girls lays her egg and another one sees her in that nest box and says "oh my... that must be THE place to be!" And then... they all want to be there. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have 12 nesting boxes for 21 chickens and they ALL lay in the same one.

4. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Yes, WHY? We have 4 nests for 4 hens, and they ALL want the same one! They squawk and squabble over it and will hold their eggs to the point of desperation to lay in that one special nest!

5. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have about 7 nests and they ALWAYS lay in 1 to 2 of them!!! I get kinda annoyed when they do that.

Why do they do that? [​IMG]

Because their chickens after all. [​IMG]

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    That is hens for you. [​IMG]

A good nest to one hen is a good nest to all hens.

Ours do it and my dad has over 20 something hens that all lay in the same box. When you go to collect their eggs, you have to move 3 or 4 at a time off it to get the eggs. Ever heard of Thy nest runneth over? LOL This one does for sure!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's common. I have some birds that like to share a nest box at the same time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  8. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I have one nest box (a covered kitty litter pan) for 6 and they all lay in there. [​IMG]

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    This is why its recommended to have one nest for each 3-4 birds.
    For whatever weird chicken reason, the more nests you have, the more the dimwits crowd into just a few.
    Soon an egg gets broken, they learn to start eating eggs and well... thats never good.

In this case, less is certainly more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    But then, one never knows with these silly critters. I've followed my own advice for some time and I'm just as liable to find 4 or more all lolling around in one nest - all at the same time. God knows what theyre doing in there...

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Was over generous in nest boxes in one coop. They started out laying in only one nest box. Later after they came to a mutual agreement and started splitting up between nests. Go figure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by