Why Wait?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgaepi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    I need a sanity check. I have the coop outside. I have the supplies for the chicken run and it will be complete sunday. I have the chick brooder set up and ready. A full operation with the flick of a switch. But I have had little luck finding chicks - we started late. There are some options, I can get slightly older ones via craigslist. I can buy some gucci breeds like Lavender Orpington or bearded polish something or other. But I really just want some normal chicks to start with. I want this to be painless for me and a good learning experience for my young kids.

So A) Should I just wait and let things collect dust until early March when i can get sexed chicks from the feed store
    B) Pay extra and roll the dice on some rare breeds I have zero experience with
    C) Get older birds and lose some of the initial experience
    D) Get eggs through the mail and really get the experience from day one

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I would chose "A"
    EVEN THO' I am incredibly impatient....I'd probably spend the time researching the whole "which breed is best for our family" thing totally to death and then wait to get what I wanted. But that's my personality. Others are perfectly happy just jumping right in there with whatever is around.
    Chicks in the spring time is pretty fun. Whatever you chose....woooo-hooooo for you! Have fun with your new chickens [​IMG]

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u could hatch eggs. ur in Davis california? kinda far from where i live but not to far. I have a Cockrel if u want it to get u started lol. hes a month old so hes still a chick.I could prob ship. there are breeders who will shipped shipped eggs. look at the eggs for sale on here. do u have an incubator? if not i can check into shipping if u want this chick. im not allowed roosters. otherwise id keep him.

4. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    For me.... it would be A or D. Probably A, cuz I am a "want to see what I'm buying" kind of guy. But I am also impatient and a little crazy, so maybe D. Hope that helps!! [​IMG]

5. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    In Davis we can't have roosters either. Plus I have 5 neighboring houses all within a 50 ft radius

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

aww ya didnt think of that. id just go online and see if u could find sexed chicks. have u tryed my pet chicken.com

7. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Or...you could call Belt Hatchery and see what they have available. Possibly drive down to Fresno and pick up the chicks-then possilby they might not have a 25 chick minimum????

Also there is CaliforniaHatchery.com. They have a 3 chick minimum.....might be worth a look see:

http://www.californiahatchery.com/

See chicks..... without the wait! Also being in Cali, you have access to a boat load of poultry clubs [​IMG] and various 4-H/FFA group. I'm sure you can find chicks that way too!!
    I was in the Sea Side Feather Fanciers poultry club when I lived in Cali. They are in So Cal (Ventura) but I know people from all over Cali came to our shows.
    Here is their site, it might be a start!:

http://www.seasideff.org/

ETA:
    Oh by the way Welcome to the Forum and I'm a horrible enabler.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I would agree with going with "A", either feed store chicks, or hatchery chicks this spring is what I would do, look up some hatcheries online and find a breed or assortment that works for you and your family! Try mcmurry hatchery, cackle hatchery, or welp hatchery, they all have a decent variety and good deals

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I imagine your climate is pretty good through winter. I wouldn't be afraid of rare breeds unless they are very pricey.
    The rare breeds I've raised have been a pleasant surprise, some of the hardiest birds I've had and you'll be contributing your share to preserving genetic diversity.

10. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    I can totally relate.I searched CL local farmers market,community fourums,Yahoo groups.My resolve.Found hatching eggs on Ebay with a free hatching service.Very reasonably priced.Now I need to get a lamp for the brooder cause I got 10 Barred Rock chicks on the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by