Why was this egg speckled?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emsevers, Dec 19, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I'm just curious but I have 3 red sex-links and they normally lay brown eggs with pretty much no spots. Today I got one with tons of spots all over it. I've never had one like that before and I was wondering why that happens. Anyone know?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I really don't know why that happened, but I have seen it alot with other chickens, matter fact it happens to my hens once and a while and all of them still very healthy.
    Don't worry.

Merry christmas.

Omran.

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    A few of mine have been coming out speckled too. The speckles flake off if i use my finger nail. I'm hoping it's just something to do with the egg production and not anything yucky.

In fact i had come in here searching for speckled eggs to see what i could find out about it.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've had speckled eggs before and think it may have been some blood. No problems ever since, so I wouldn't worry.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have cute, non-blood, speckles on some of my eggs. I even have a girl who lays pink eggs and sometimes deposits purple specks on them. Such a good girl.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I get speckled eggs everyday too. I like them [​IMG]

7. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Pink eggs with purple speckles!
    EE? Do you have pics?

Can chickens be bred for speckled eggs?

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    It's just the same pigment that colors your eggs normally, but sometimes it gets deposited in spots or speckles. I don't know why, but it nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal to get some speckled eggs. Some hens have speckled eggs more frequently than others.

9. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a nice, three year old red sexlink hen who always lays a speckled egg. They are always big eggs and the speckles can be felt as tiny bumps as well as be seen. Also, the bottom of the egg generally has a little wrinkled texture too. Funny girl!

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:I think it's one of my BRs or SLWs. It doesn't happen every time, but I'll try to get a photo. Somehow all the photos I take of eggs aren't anywhere near true to colour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by