Why wasn't I warned.. not to build a coop, or heck get chickens... Oh well too late now. New build started this weekend.

Just to check, can you access the entire underside of the coop as it currently stands? Might want to consider access doors on one or two sides of the underside coop area if fully reaching the back corners from the run opening is difficult.
As low as it is to the ground might be better to just mesh it off so not birds or pests/predators, can get under there.

As low as it is to the ground might be better to just mesh it off so not birds or pests/predators, can get under there.
Yeah, that's another thought, though it's a shame to have that extra space and not be able to use it - granted my coop eats up run space as well but I never had the intention of allowing the chickens under it due to the size of the coop.

Or maybe consider partially blocking access so the chickens can only get into the front 2' or so, so everything can be more easily be reached by hand. It'll let the chickens take advantage of the deep shade there but keep them from getting in the back corners.

Or maybe consider partially blocking access so the chickens can only get into the front 2' or so, so everything can be more easily be reached by hand. It'll let the chickens take advantage of the deep shade there but keep them from getting in the back corners.
That's what I did, but it was tight (~2') in places to get under there to do that.

More progress. Reversed the walls to the opening portion faces the yard, Flashing installed, Siding up, roof finished, windows installed. Caulking and paint tomorrow then on to enclosing the run and installing the auto door. . Leaving the top 2/3 of the run facing side wall hardware cloth and not solid per recommendations here. Pardon the furry photo bomb think she is excited for more things to bark at View attachment 3038851View attachment 3038852View attachment 3038853
Can I suggest a sectioned off area for new arrivals who come out of the brooder? I wish I had done that. It’s really helpful for integration or RE-
integration if one has to recover.

We live in Florida where heat and humidity are the enemies. I made doors that have removable panels for additional venting during the warmer months but can be closed during storms or cooler months. They also have the option to act like Bahama shutters to allow flow but not totally removed. I purchased quick-release stainless steel hinges off of amazon and that have worked well. The eaves are also open and the roof vented. I also added more vents (round port holes up top that you can see and also actual port holes in the nesting box area that open/close and are water tight) that I can block off during the cooler months if needed. I also place cheap fans (cheap b/c the salt air, dust and usage kills them seasonally) on the coop floor during summer and added a smaller crawl space fan in the upper portion of the coop to pull hot air. Good luck! Looks great so far.

Attachments

• tempImageMUnzsd.png
    tempImageMUnzsd.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImageMQgrtG.png
    tempImageMQgrtG.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We live in Florida where heat and humidity are the enemies. I made doors that have removable panels for additional venting during the warmer months but can be closed during storms or cooler months. They also have the option to act like Bahama shutters to allow flow but not totally removed. I purchased quick-release stainless steel hinges off of amazon and that have worked well. The eaves are also open and the roof vented. I also added more vents (round port holes up top that you can see and also actual port holes in the nesting box area that open/close and are water tight) that I can block off during the cooler months if needed. I also place cheap fans (cheap b/c the salt air, dust and usage kills them seasonally) on the coop floor during summer and added a smaller crawl space fan in the upper portion of the coop to pull hot air. Good luck! Looks great so far.
Heat and humidity here also, followed by cold winters! Wish I'd seen your design before I built my new coop this week! Actually hubby built, but I'm sure he loves it when I change designs around mid build, lol. This is actually an infirmary since I have some older chickens, so sure I'm going to need it but hopefully not soon. That's why there is no run attached.
IMG_20220329_160516.jpg

Back
Top Bottom