Why? Why? Why??????

Ditto to everyone!!! Have 4 nest boxes for 14 laying hens. The ones that actually USE the boxes all lay in 1 and occasionally in another. And most of the time there are 2 in a nest! I have an Araucana that lays hers where ever she happens to be standing. A speckled sussex that likes to keep us guessing where she lays hers. (like it's Easter everyday!) A leghorn that occasionally lays hers in the nest boxes of the other henhouse that houses our teenagers!
hu.gif
barnie.gif
Up until this year, they used all the nests, rarely found any on the floor or anywhere else! Maybe it is midlife crisis or something, as half of my laying hens are 3 1/2 yrs old! You are right in saying they are NUTS!!
big_smile.png
but in a good way!

Last edited:
I have 6 boxes and have seen 5 hens trying to lay in the same box!
lau.gif
I was thrilled the other day when I looked in and saw one egg each in three boxes I wanted to take a pictures it was so rare!

Mine never even get in their boxes. The make a chicken ball in the corner of the coop. Except for one little bantam, she gets in a nesting box in a different coop, always on the left side...never on the right. I have even placed hay in the right side only and she still goes to the left. She always stays by herself in that coop, in the left nesting box.

51848_p1010671.jpg

Nuff said.
tongue.png

Actually I'm amused that mine prefer the cardboard boxes I put out in my growout coop over the fancy ones I spent money on. Grrr. Those warehouse store cardboard boxes that aren't good for anything? they love em.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom