1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY WHY WHY!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JordanFamily, May 23, 2008.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    :thun Tragedy has struck our small quite little home.... I had 16 bantam Polish eggs in the bator and at day 19 I could hear one chirping... day 21 nothing and now day 23 and still silence! I was worried because they were shipped eggs that they might not hatch but was so thrilled on day 19 to hear the little peeps...Now gloom has set in...I'm still in denile and the eggs are still in the bator.... I just am having problems letting go. I know I should open one to see what it looks like but I can't bring myself to do it just in case it may still be alive... Should I wait or should I just start opening eggs???
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I would open it. Especially "just in case it is alive"
    It needs to breathe. Give it a little airhole to breathe out of. Your incubator's humidity might be low and they are unable to hatch themselves because of a dried membrane. [​IMG] It is harder for them to hatch out of that membrane then the eggshell itself.
    NOW GO SAVE THOSE LITTLE CLUCKIES!! [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK!! [​IMG]

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    aww i know how you feel :aww

but since it's past day 21 i would candle the eggs to see if there still alive? cuz you don't want to throw away live chicks so my best bet is to candle them first

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would pip the air cell end and take a look you might still have a few that are still alive. Your humidity might have been on the low side and they can't get out on their own now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by