why wont my chicken lay a egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicokl502, Jun 16, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so i have a 6 month old gal she was lay every day in the afternoon, one day my dog got to her she was fine but stop laying we have found a way to keep the dog out but before then he keep getting in maybe 3 times ( i was very upset with the dog). it has been over a month and still no eggs she happy and looks fine is there anything i can do or will she just not ever lay a egg again?????

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    she could be molting or something is she losing feathers? thats just a possiblility. also i've never personally experienced it but maybe stress from something like that could cause a stop in egg production. But it wouldn't be permanent.

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Maybe the heat, if your temps are like ours are here in NC! Mine have stopped laying much too.

4. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    well we have been very lucky and haven't had to many hot days , it's been odd for us our summer are hot but they seem not to mind the heat, and would she be molting so young?i am thinking it may be from the stress of the dog going after her but how long do you think it will be before she will lay again its been a month now is that to long????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by