Why won't my chickens eat corn??

I have a mixed flock of 30 hens, 1 Rooster and 2 cockerels. I feed them layers feed, growers feed, scratch grains, and kitchen scraps.

The kitchen scraps vary and can be stale bread, uneaten rice, old chicken and tuna salad, chopped vegetables, etc. The amounts vary according to what a household of 2 will produce. Of all the food, the chickens seem to like the kitchen scraps best, I mean they come running when its offered!

I notice that all the birds will pass over any cracked corn or whole corn. I mean, it just lies on the ground uneaten.

I thought chickens liked corn? Why won't mine eat corn?
Me too! Mine wouldn't eat it for a year . They will occasionally eat cracked but not so much.

Yes, the cracked corn is in the scratch grains bag. they eat the other grains and leave the cracked corn. But I've also tried whole corn, which is the lease expensive feed I can get. The only ones who will eat that are my two cockerels. I've also tried whole oats, without much success. We also give them oyster shell. I am just wondering about the whole corn because I've read post on here saying they only feed their chickens who corn in winter.

My birds are healthy and lay OK but I want to reduce the cost of feeding them if I can.
I have 4 hens and daily I feed wet mash 3/4 c. , whole grain wheat or oats 1/8 cup, fruit and/or veg scraps, as a treat. I think they tolerate and metabolize wet feed better, sometimes I ferment it. I have also read people soak oats or wheat to soften and they eat better. Like mine won't eat carrots unless cooked. I spend the extra $ and use fancy scratch they also have dry layer feed 24/7 .

Our birds will preferentially eat whatever has the highest protein content. I guess they can tell by the taste. If there is pellet or mash available they will ignore the corn. If there is nothing else they will fill up on corn.

I have 4 hens and daily I feed wet mash 3/4 c. , whole grain wheat or oats 1/8 cup, fruit and/or veg scraps, as a treat. I think they tolerate and metabolize wet feed better, sometimes I ferment it. I have also read people soak oats or wheat to soften and they eat better. Like mine won't eat carrots unless cooked. I spend the extra $ and use fancy scratch they also have dry layer feed 24/7 .
What do you consider "fancy scratch" to be ?

Back
Top Bottom