Why won't my chickens eat layer's pellets....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rod5591, Aug 22, 2018.

1. rod5591

rod5591 Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Cookeville TN
    Since my chickens started laying I bought a 50 lb sack of layers pellets. My chickens won't eat them. Before this they had starter crumbles and some cracked corn and scratch.

Why wont they eat layer pellets, do you think? Actually they will eat them if I personally toss a handful on the ground by they wont eat them out of the feeder. Any thoughts why?

True Patriot likes this.
  2. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    They will eat them if they are hungry enough. Your chickens been used to eating crumbles their whole life and now won't eat the pellets. You could say they are spoiled and chickens usually prefer crumbles over pellets.

3. TheLittleFarm18

TheLittleFarm18 Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Central Illinois
    You know when I switched mine they didn't eat it that well, I assumed they were getting better stuff free ranging. The fatties eat plenty of feed and still eat everything in the yard/garden.

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    My flock prefers crumbles as well. They have all thrived on Flock Raiser with oyster shell in a separate container.

alexa009, SueT and True Patriot like this.
  5. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    When I switched mine from chick starter to flock raiser there were a couple of days they didn't eat as much. Once they got used to the new feed they go through it like champs. Something I learned raising many dogs, when you change foods, always go with the smallest amount available to buy. Sometimes they refuse to eat certain ones, I'd rather waste a 5 pound bag instead of a 50 pound.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you really want them on the pellets, make that the sole source of food for a few days. Cut out all snacks like scratch.

Chick-N-Fun and snow5164 like this.
  7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Changes in diet are better done slowly.
    When I want the pullets to move to layers feed, I smash the pellets into smaller pieces and mix them in with the baby food or whatever they have been eating.
    Over a couple of weeks I gradually reduce the quantity of the original food and increase the quantity of layers pellets.
    As Alexa009 writes, if they are hungry enough they'll eat what you give them.

8. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Think of it as if one morning your oatmeal was replaced by a bowl of Cheerios .... not the same at all . You might grumble too

As said though , they’re not hungry or they’d eat it

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I never feed layer. I feed grower/finisher with oyster shell in a separate bowl.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Mine do not like layer pellets much either, but it has nothing to do with pellet v crumble because they will gobble down meat bird pellets. It depends on the brand too - They will not touch Dumor layer pellets no matter what. The Purina oyster strong they will eat okay. Generally I prefer not to feed layer feed anyway. Right now I am trying to get through a bag of Full-o-pep 20% layer pellets that are stupidly large. I wish I could just feed them to the goats to get rid of them lol and for now Ill just have to stick with meat bird crumble until I can find an all flock or meat bird pellet. Surprisingly, finding a good feed has been one of my biggest frustrations after moving halfway across the country.

Shadrach and Chick-N-Fun like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: