Why won't my chickens go up to

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Our girls are about 5 weeks old. They spend all day in their coop (which they love) and then back in the brooder at night. The coop has a roost that a few of them use (not all of them).

Our coop has an "upstairs" area with a ramp that leads to a small enclosed run (the big run is currently being finished). So far none of them will go to the upper part. A couple of them will go up a few rungs, but not all the way. We've tried to coax them up the ramp with treats to no avail and tried putting them upstairs by hand but they quickly jump down.

Today we put them directly into the box and closed the ramp off so they had to stay. They hated it and it became a wrestling match to get them all up and in without anybody escaping. They were fairly freaked out and after a few minutes I took pity on them and opened the ramp.

I am hoping that in the next few weeks they will be staying outside full time. What can I do to get them used to the upstairs and going up the ramp? I'll include a picture of the coop to help clarify. Any and all advice is appreciated!
chicken coop.png

Simple answer: it's too dark in there. I don't see any windows or vents. Chickens can't see in the dark.

The ramp also might be too steep for their liking but you can probably change the angle on it by propping the bottom part up onto something.

Also just a note on terminology, the coop is the enclosed part. The rest is the run. The coop is where the chickens should be spending their nights sleeping, however, if it's too dark, stuffy and small, they won't want to go in. Without seeing the measurements I'm going to guess the coop is going to be too small for 5, plus it really needs ventilation. Glad you're building a bigger run at least!

Is that thing on the side not a window ?
Chickens have no problem sleeping in the dark. What do they do in the wild ? Make a fire and sleep by it ?

Is that a window? I thought it was an access door slid open for demonstration, but upon second look it might be a window (not sure if it opens further or if it's locked in that "half open" position).

Of course they sleep in the dark, but they can't see well enough to walk around when it's dark. Which is why they normally head to the roost at dusk, while there's still light enough to see.

We already adjusted the ramp to make it less steep. Perhaps I can add more wood to lessen the slope even more. T

There are 3 windows. one that leads to the run, one that is on the front side (that's the one in the picture) and one on the side with the nesting boxes that you can't see in the picture. I suppose I could add some lighting if that's not enough for them.

As for size, we did a lot of research and used standards that seem pretty universal (ie. 4 sq. ft. per bird). In addition they have a very large run that they will use each day.

Good to know about the windows! My mistake in thinking that was just an access panel.

I also noticed I misread your original post and thought you had 5 chicks, not 5 week old chicks, so sorry about that!

Young birds do take some time to adjust to new surroundings, so you'll probably need to be helping them up and down for a little while. Mine didn't start roosting until 7 weeks old.

I am just putting my babies out too and they start crying for me when it gets too dark. They huddle by the gate leading out and come into my hands to go back in the brooder tote. I bring them in at night because they are still so young. As for a light in the coop, this is an excellent idea and it doesn't have to be permanent, nor very bright! It can stay until they get used to their new sleeping place. Poor babies without a mama hen, I feel so bad. They'll get the hang of it though. As for being tougher, I guess it's a question of how tuff. If they cry but aren't fully panicked, you can lock them in, but if they are full-on panicked and thrashing and rushing to get out,I would not recommend fighting them. Bring them in, it's not worth making them even more afraid of the coop and of you IMHO!

Maybe my whimpy birds need a night light (or a camp fire:).
Young birds when outside in a run during the day will usually not learn to return to the coop to sleep without a light. They will, after a few weeks, get to know their space and return to roost at night on their own without the light. Also young chickens "learn" to roost, some before others. I was given a full grown hen that never learned to roost because she never had one. She laid her eggs on the floor of the coop because she never learned to "go up" to anything. After 8 months here, she roosts 5 feet off the ground and also lays in a box that is the highest one available! Add a light for a time and they will learn where to go at night. Good Luck and welcome here! :D :D :D

Simple answer: it's too dark in there. I don't see any windows or vents. Chickens can't see in the dark.

The ramp also might be too steep for their liking but you can probably change the angle on it by propping the bottom part up onto something.

Also just a note on terminology, the coop is the enclosed part. The rest is the run. The coop is where the chickens should be spending their nights sleeping, however, if it's too dark, stuffy and small, they won't want to go in. Without seeing the measurements I'm going to guess the coop is going to be too small for 5, plus it really needs ventilation. Glad you're building a bigger run at least!

Is that thing on the side not a window ?
Chickens have no problem sleeping in the dark. What do they do in the wild ? Make a fire and sleep by it ?
The chickens only use the coop at night or when their laying an egg, at night it’s supposed to be dark, maybe putting a light on the outside so they can see the door. Those coops are specially designed for chickens so I wouldn’t blame the coop on this, the young chickens will have to be taught by putting them in on the roost every night.

We already adjusted the ramp to make it less steep. Perhaps I can add more wood to lessen the slope even more. T

There are 3 windows. one that leads to the run, one that is on the front side (that's the one in the picture) and one on the side with the nesting boxes that you can't see in the picture. I suppose I could add some lighting if that's not enough for them.

As for size, we did a lot of research and used standards that seem pretty universal (ie. 4 sq. ft. per bird). In addition they have a very large run that they will use each day.

Back
Top Bottom