Why won't my chickens roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SandJmom, Nov 26, 2012.

1. SandJmom

SandJmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    My chicks are about 4 months old now and still will not roost. They sleep huddled up in the corner of the coop floor. I don't think it's because they are cold. I have a red heat lamp in one corner, and they sleep in the other corner.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like they are avoiding the heat. I would definitely turn it off, and see if that solves the problem.

3. SandJmom

SandJmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    What kind of lighting do you suggest i put in there? They will not go in their coop at night if the red light is not on. That is the main reason I have kept it in there. How cold does it need to get for them to need the heat lamp? It got down to 29 a couple of nights ago, but they still stayed in that corner. I have tried pointing the lamp to the floor, I've tried pointing it to the roost, and I've tried pointing it away from any spot they might sleep. Still, they will not get on their roost. I even tried putting them up there myself and they kinda freaked out. One tried to jump down and practically hung herself. My rooster tried to go down the ladder, got half way down and tried to fly and landed on their waterer. They seem almost scared of it.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Try keeping them closed in 24 hours a day for several days to a week so that they get used to the idea that is where they sleep at night. Don't put a light in, let them go to bed on their own as it gets dark out. When they get old enough to want to roost they will - unless they are silkies, they usually want to sleep on the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by