why wont my ducks sleep inside

We have raised ours on our attached screened porch with tarp under the hay to protect the wood and clean regularly. They go out, down the ramp every day, and at dusk, come back up alone. However, I do entice them by filling their feed and water at dusk and making a lot of noise doing so, and laying down fresh hay and talking and singing "Rubber Ducky" to them (I've sung that since they were day old, altho YOU would not want to hear me sing it, I can crack glass). They know it's time to come in, and settle right down. They're tired and full of bugs and grass and don't even eat, but they're set for the AM. I have one that jumps on the dog cage and knocks at the living room window. I think she likes to sit there and watch TV. They're tooooo funny. Nice thing is, we can look out the window and see their antics, we have a very horny teenage drake, he thinks he can have his way with 12 ducks. They get POed with him once in a while, it's quite a show...If they are a little resistant to coming in now and then, like OUR dinner is ready, we'd like to relax and not worry about them, I just go out and round them up with arms out to sides and wave them in. Peas are always a good enticement, as soon as they see that bag, they come a runnin'

okay if i put bricks in front of the door will that work

It could work, at least for keep the ducks from going outside. For predators, they would probably have no problem getting through...
Depending on what your dog house is like, you could maybe try a sliding door. Like make two slots at either side, and slide a board in :)

okay i will try it and i have anthoer thing to ask do duck get sick from green water

okay i will try it and i have anthoer thing to ask do duck get sick from green water

Okay let me know how that works!
And if u mean their drinking water, it could cause sickness, the should always have fresh water, I know it's hard to keep clean but I usually change mine at least once a day. For kitty pools or ponds... I don't see how pond water can infect a duck unless their a weird chemical spill or something lol but I have a kitty pool and it gets gross fast so I change it every couple days..
I read in my book about one contagious disease they can get from contaminated water... It's called cholera I'll send a link...

Make sure that the dog house has been modified so that there is enough fresh air in there. Cut some windows if you need to and then cover with metal wire screen. Have a small ramp for them to get up to the house and then a door that closes. Make sure that you change the sawdust often enough that it doesn't smell.

Our ducks will put themselves to bed now that they are used to it, but often we have to herd them into the house. We have a herding dog, so that makes it very easy but it is easy enough to do it by yourself using your arms to steer them.

If you want friendly healthy ducks you need to look after them.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom