1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why won't my flock go in the coop during a storm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MayberrySaint, Aug 5, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I am at a loss to explain my flock's insane desire to stay outside under a bush during severe thunderstorms. They refuse to go in the coop. They look like drowned rats right now...[​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Mine don't come in out of the rain either!! I looked like a drowned rat the last time it rained.....I was trying to chase them into their coop. I guess I'm just gonna let them get wet. Wouldn't worry if I didn't have silkies...they're not waterproof like the other chickens. What to do?? [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine used to hang out in the rain. Then they learned about the front porch. [​IMG]

4. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    I have a "shelter", per se, for mine.

Just an old, decrepit kitchen table.

Otherwise, they'd let themselves get and stay totally soaked.

Dunno why my ladies like to stay in the wet...their babies do, too.

Billy used to lead them to the table in the storms...Gosh I miss Billy...I miss his crow when it was going to storm, and just feeling "welcomed" every morning.

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Now mine have figured out that the overhang of the house is a good place to root hog or die in a storm. But they still stay on their run-roosts regardless of weather conditions at night! Goobers! But we haven't had rain in so long here, I'm sure the chickies would welcome a refreshing shower.

6. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    And I thought it was only my dumb clucks that stayed out in the rain! We had a gully washer last week and the pen flooded. We had 4.5 inches of rain in 45 minutes. Thunder, lightning, wind gusts. My goofy birds were wading around like they were at a water park. The coop is raised and they could have gone in to stay dry, but noooo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by