1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why won't my hens eat if the feeder is in the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by l'abeille, Nov 16, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I'd like to keep my pellet feeder in the coop due to rain and vermin. But my new hens won't eat unless I throw pellets in their run or move the feeder outside. They basically just sleep in the run. They don't even bother to eat the scratch I throw on the coop floor at dusk but just go straight to their roost. I open their door pretty early in the morning, they are still on the roost but head straight outside without using the feeder. How can I get them to come in to eat?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Take away the roost in the run. And put them in the coop on a roost after dark. You may need to lock them in the coop for a week or two to teach them the coop is home.

Imp

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you don't feed them outside, eventually they'll find the feed on the inside.

4. Oopoo

Oopoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    A hungry chicken will eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by