Why won't my hens lay?!?

You have breeds that need a little more age to start laying. A week or so before the first egg, they will start to "sing"--a different voice than while growing up and maturing--you will hear it......When one starts, the others are likely to follow very soon--be patient. Leghorn pullet likely will be first! Pullets usually will lay without lights, as that is what they are "programed" to do, when Mother Nature says they are mature, they will lay! But the light may keep them laying through the winter. The light in their coop won't interfere with their "schedule"--chickens do not "sleep" the way we do, are always at half rest. You do not see them nap in the daytime,either, preen and rest, but not "sleep". They cannot see to move around when it is dark, but will be at a "resting" alert. You will whoop when the first eggs arrive--a great day! Just be patient--they are still very young! A great day is coming--and many more! Your family will praise your patience when they have EGGS for breakfast, that are so much better than store eggs!!

Last edited:
I got my first egg today!!! I don't know if it was the light last night or what but ahhhh

Well done! Maybe thinking positive communicates with your pullets?????You are on your way, but do not expect every pullet to lay every day--and maybe a couple of days for the next egg?? And it doesn't look like the pure white of the Leghorn?? No matter, an egg is an egg!! There will be more SOON.

Congratulations. It had nothing to do with the light. You would have gotten that egg today anyway.
The increased day length is detected by the pineal gland behind the eye that stimulates the hormones for sexual maturity. Then eventually, ovulation starts occurring. After the first follicle enters the infundibulum, it takes another 25 hours for the egg to be laid. So from adding light, one would expect results in a week, not overnight.

The light will help the others kick in.

No need to light the run. They won't be outside to see it. It needs to be in the coop and at roost height to have an impact.

Probably from your sexlink.

Last edited:
they might be laying their eggs under a bush somewhere. 6 months is when mine started laying. maybe they haven't started yet.

Back
Top Bottom